College of Engineering and Applied Science
Creating Web Pages
This document covers where to put your web pages and Computer Science policies about web pages. It is not indented, nor does it contain information on writing web pages. There are numerous web sites on the Internet devoted to how to write a web page.
Web Page Policies
Any web pages you create must comply with the University of Wyoming, Engineering College, and Computer Science department user policies, as well as complying with relevant US state and federal laws. The Computer Science department reserves the right to have you remove material from your web pages.
Where to put the web pages
Viewing your web pages
- You will need an account on the Computer Science UNIX machines
- In your account, create a directory named www (command: mkdir www)
- Make sure your home directory has at least execute permissions. (in your home directory command: chmod o+x .)
- Make sure the directory permissions are set to World Read (command: chmod o+r www)
- Create/put your web pages in the www directory.
- You should create a web page named index.html, since it will be the default file returned to a web browser.
- In any browser enter the following: http://www.cs.uwyo.edu/~yourusername/
- Where yourusername is your UNIX login username
- This will show you the default web pages (named index.html) or append the web page file name you created in the www directory.