Topics in Aging
WyGEC - Resource Center
End of Life Care: Advanced Directives and Terminal Care
American Geriatrics Society AGS Updated Beers Criteria for Potentially Inappropriate Medication Use in Older Adults (2012) includes the updated list, Evidence Tables, training materials, information for nurses.
For a list of freely available articles on Comorbidity, click here.
- The United States Department of Justice Elder Abuse Website "is a resource for victims of elder abuse and financial exploitation and their families; practitioners who serve them; law enforcement agencies and prosecutors; and researchers seeking to understand and address this silent epidemic plaguing our nation's elders."
- The National Center on Elder Abuse Website directed by the U.S. Administration on Aging "is a resource for policy makers, social service and health care practitioners, the justice system, researchers, advocates, and families."
End of Life Care
For a list of current articles on Advanced Directives, Terminal and Palliative Care, freely available through PubMed click here.
- Wyoming Advanced Directives - From the Wyoming Department of Health, provides the advanced directives form, with accompanying guide and glossary.
Terminal and Palliative Care
- CareSearch - Australian resource on Palliative Care
- Promoting Excellence in End of Life Care - From the University of Montana, and created as part of the Robert Wood Johnson program, this web site contains Clinical Care Tools, Education Tools, Evaluation Tools and Organizational Tools. Designed for Health Care Professionals providing palliative and end of life care.
- The National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization - The National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization maintains this site. Quick Link sites include information such as Advance Directives specific for each state. Other areas of the site are for members only.
- Living and Dying Well with Cancer (pdf): - Living and Dying Well with Cancer: Successfully Integrating Palliative Care and Cancer Treatment is another publication from the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, Promoting Excellence in End of Life Care. This 32 page documents focuses specifically on end of life care for cancer patients.
- Policies and Tools for Hospital Palliative Care Programs (pdf) - From the Center to Advance Palliative Care, this 90 page document provides a resource for policies, tools and resources for health care providers of palliative and end of life care.
For a list of current articles on Fall Prevention, freely available through PubMed, click here.
- American Geriatrics Society Clinical Practice Guideline: Prevention of Falls In Older Persons: Summary of Recommendations, and full text of guideline.
- Fall Prevention Center of Excellence "In January 2005, the Fall Prevention Center of Excellence was established to “provide leadership, create new knowledge, improve practice and develop sustainable fall prevention programs.” Includes information for Service Providers, Individuals & Families, and Researchers & Educators.
- Falls: Older Adults Centers for Disease Control (CDC) web page contains Publications and Resources, Related Resources and Data & Statistics
- Falls in the Elderly Merck Manual chapter includes sections on Etiology (including tables of causes), Evaluation, History and physical examination, and Prevention
- Michael YL, Lin JS, Whitlock EP, et al. Interventions to Prevent Falls in Older Adults: An Updated Systematic Review [Internet]. Rockville (MD): Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (US); 2010 Dec. (Evidence Syntheses, No. 80.) This full text 392 page evidence based book is available in HTML and PDF.
- Preventing Falls: How to Develop Community-based Fall Prevention Programs for Older Adults, In this document, CDC provides organizations with the building blocks of effective fall prevention programs by providing examples, resources, and tips. Available in PDF, or print copy can be ordered for free from CDC.
- Stevens JA. A CDC Compendium of Effective Fall Interventions: What Works for Community-Dwelling Older Adults. 2nd ed. Atlanta, GA: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Injury Prevention and Control, 2010. This 159 page book is available in HTML for web based use and PDF for download.
For a list of freely available articles on Health Literacy in the older adult, click here.
- Health Literacy: MedlinePlus National Library of Medicine resources list for patients and families, compiled from government agencies and national associations.
- Quick Guide to Health Literacy and Older Adults Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, for people who serve older adults on health and aging issues. The guide provides background information on health literacy and strategies and suggestions for communicating with older adults. Links to many helpful resource materials are included for you to investigate specific topics in greater detail. This guide builds on the information presented in the Quick Guide to Health Literacy, published by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.