Skip to Main Content

Apply Now to the University of Wyoming apply now

Employee Benefits

Information for Employees Leaving Employment

Resignation Letter

Employees are asked to give as much notice as possible of their intent to leave a position by notifying their supervisors and/or appointing authority with their projected date of resignation. Positions that are non-exempt should give at least 10 working days notice, while exempt positions should give at least 20 working days notice. The employee should notify their supervisors and/or appointing authority with a written or emailed resignation letter. Once a resignation has been recieved, if the employee requests to rescind the resignation, it is within the University's sole discretion whether or not to grant this request. Rescission may not be possible if the University has formally accepted the resignation.

Termination Leave Option Form / Leave Balances

Resigning employees need to complete a Termination Leave Option Form, and turn it into a supervisor or Decentralized HR Representative.  The form provides information on how you would like unused sick and vacation time paid.

Sick Leave - Employees will receive payment for one-half of their current sick leave balance as of their termination date, with a maximum payout of 480 hours. Employees who are terminated for corrective action reasons or provide fewer than two weeks notice of their intent to resign, will be paid in a lump sum for one-half of their accrued sick leave. Other employees may elect a lump sum payment, terminal leave, or a combination of terminal leave and lump sum payment. Employees who do not elect either option will be paid in a lump sum.

Vacation Leave - Staff employees will be paid for their unused vacation (up to a maximum of 352 hours) and are offered two options:

  • Lump Sum - Payment will be made at one time and the benefits will end at the end of the month when the employee’s final work day occurs. Employees may want to check with their tax advisor regarding the tax implications if their payment will be larger than a regular month's pay.

  • Terminal Leave - Employees are entitled to be paid for their unused vacation in the form of terminal leave, or taking their unused vacation over time, which provides for continuation of their pay and benefits until the unused vacation is depleted. This may be especially important to employees who wish to maintain their health, dental, and life insurance as long as possible. If an employee has any paid time in a month, the insurance will continue through the end of that month. Payment for one-half of accrued sick leave (not to exceed 480 hours, with possible exceptions listed in the sick leave section above) may also be used in combination with vacation to extend terminal leave.

Email / HCM Access

UW computer access / HCM access / email will be removed the evening of the last physical day worked. Board Retirees will maintain their email access.

Change of Address

It is important to notify the University of Wyoming of any change in your home address, as we will need a current address for mailing W-2 forms and any future correspondence regarding your payroll or benefits.  The address change can be submitted in HCM.  Quick Reference Guides are located on the WyoCloud Knowledge base.

Exit Interview

UW is interested in gathering information from our employees who leave employment with respect to their work experience with the goal of looking for trends and making improvements. Please complete the University Exit Interview Form if you choose to.  Responses will be kept confidential and will not be placed in an employee's personnel file.

Employees who are Retiring

Contact Cherise Laud at (307) 766-2437, or email to schedule an appointment to discuss your retirement and options for continuation of your health, dental, life, or vision coverage after retirement. Employees with a minimum of 25 years (regardless of age) or are at least age 60 with 15 years of service (10 years must be consecutive and immediately preceding) are eligible for Board of Trustee Retiree benefits. Before retiring, it is suggested that employees consult with a qualified retirement or tax advisor for advice on the best course of action to take based on their individual situation.

Employees who are not Retiring

Health and Dental Insurance, and Vision Plans will end at the end of the month in which an employee had any paid time (including hours worked and sick leave, vacation, and comp time used). Employees may continue the health insurance for a maximum of 18 months by opting for COBRA. The State Employees' Group Insurance Office will send information about enrolling in COBRA to the most current address on file. Former employees will have 60 days in which to enroll in COBRA and will pay the full cost of the coverage.

Life Insurance ends at the end of the month in which an employee had any paid time. Employees who enrolled in the term life insurance provided by the State of Wyoming may choose to convert their group policy to an individual life insurance policy. The employee is responsible for applying and paying the first month's premium within 31 days of the end of the group life insurance as an active employee. No evidence of insurability will be required if the enrollment is completed within this time frame. Information about converting the State of Wyoming term life insurance policy may be obtained by contacting the Standard Insurance Company at (503) 321-1282.

Retirement Accounts - Employees participating in the Wyoming Retirement System who are vested (with a minimum of 4 years of service credit) have the option of leaving the funds with the system until reaching retirement age. Employees also have the option to rollover or withdraw a portion of the funds (8.25% of gross wages plus interest). Applicable income taxes will be deducted as well as early withdrawal fees when under age 59 ½. More information is available on the Wyoming Retirement System website at or by phone at (307) 777-7691.

Employees participating in the 401(a) group plan provided by TIAA have the option of leaving the funds on deposit until retirement. Employees also have the option to rollover or withdraw the funds. Applicable income taxes will be deducted as well as early withdrawal fees when under age 59 ½. More information is available by visiting their website at or by phone at (800) 842-2252.

Funds contributed to the 403(b) or 457(b) supplemental retirement plans, may be left on deposit, withdrawn, or rolled over into another qualified plan. Applicable income taxes will be deducted as well as early withdrawal fees when under age 59 ½. Contact the appropriate investment provider for more information about your options. Withdrawals or rollovers from 403(b) accounts require an online authorization obtained from

Additional Information

Contact Human Resources to discuss your benefit options and submit the voluntary questionnaire.  If you are retiring, contact Cherise Laud at or 766-2437 to discuss your retirement and insurance options.

Contact Us

Human Resources Benefits Office

Campus: Hill Hall rooms 339, 341, 343

Mail: Dept. 3422

1000 E. University Ave.

Laramie, WY 82071

Office Hours: Monday - Friday

Regular: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm

Summer: 7:30 am - 4:30 pm

Phone: 307.766.2437

Fax: 307.766.5636


1000 E. University Ave. Laramie, WY 82071
UW Operators (307) 766-1121 | Contact Us | Download Adobe Reader

Accreditation | Virtual Tour | Emergency Preparedness | Employment at UW | Privacy Policy | Harassment & Discrimination | Accessibility Accessibility information icon