Skip to Main Navigation. Each navigation link will open a list of sub navigation links.

Skip to Main Content

Apply to the University of Wyoming

Global Resource Navigation

Give to UW
Download UW Viewbook
Visit Campus

Human Resources

Employee Benefits Summary

The Employee Benefits Office is responsible for providing consultative services to employees on the variety of benefits programs available; assisting with retirement options, enrollment, and changes; coordinating insurance enrollments and changes; administering the Family and Medical Leave Act, Americans with Disabilities Act, Workers' Compensation; exit interviews and clarification of leave policies.  This page is intended for current UW employees, new employees please click here.

Rainbow over the prairie

Meet our Benefits Staff

Eric Goldenstein, Associate Director, Benefits & Records - (307) 766-2437
Retirement, Retiree Insurance, Long Term Disability, Wyoming Retirement Disability, Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Death Claims

Michelle HolmesEmployee Relations/Benefits Partner - (307) 766-2438
Workers' Compensation, Unemployment, Leave Without Pay, Insurance (Life, Health, Dental), Flexible Benefits Plan, Tuition Waivers, New Employee Orientation, Leave Policies, Exit Interviews

Kira Poulson, Human Resources Specialist, Senior - (307) 766-4220
Insurance (Life, Health, Dental), Flexible Benefits Plan, Tuition Waivers, Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), Sick Leave Donations

Additional Contacts

Employees' Group Insurance Office
In Cheyenne: (307) 777-6835
In Wyoming: (800) 891-9241

Health Insurance
In Wyoming: (800) 685-1060
In/Out of Wyoming: (800) 663-8081

MedImpact Prescriptions
(800) 788-2949

Delta Dental
In Cheyenne: (307) 632-3313
In Wyoming: (800) 735-3379

Vision Service Plan (VSP)
(800) 877-7195

Telephone Counseling Center: (800) 842-2776
General Number: (800) 842-2733

Wyoming Retirement System
In Cheyenne: (307) 777-7691

Long-Term Care
When prompted enter:
Group Name: statewy
Access code: groupltc

Short-Term Disability

Frequently Asked Questions

1. I am a new employee. How do I sign up for my benefits?
You will receive an e-mail invitation to join other new employees at the new employee orientation session. Sessions are held once a month, typically on the first Tuesday. The HR-Benefits Office will provide you with a packet of materials about your employee benefit options, including the costs and the necessary enrollment forms. You will be eligible for benefits on the first of the month after you start working in your new position. (Contact person is Michelle Holmes)

2. When is the new employee orientation session?
The sessions are typically held in the mornings on the first Tuesday of the month, but are subject to change. (Contact person is Michelle Holmes)

3. How do I sign up to take a free class?
Benefited employees are eligible for a waiver of tuition for one class each semester and one in the summer. Complete the Tuition Waiver form and be sure to get your supervisor's signature and appointing authority's signature. Your spouse or domestic partner is eligible for a waiver of half the tuition. In addition, UW employees may have their tuition waived for LCCC classes. There is a separate tuition waiver form for LCCC which may be found on the LCCC website or by contacting them directly.

4. How do I sign up for (or change the deduction amount) for the supplemental retirement account in order to receive the $20 monthly match?
Complete the supplemental retirement/deferred compensation agreement. You have the option of choosing pre-tax or post-tax for your contributions. UW will automatically add a $20 monthly contribution. If you want to change the amount of your deduction, complete the same form and it will replace the old deduction amount. All new enrollment and changes will be effective on the pay date the following month. The form may be returned to the Payroll Office. Additional information is included on the Payroll Office website.

5. How do I find out my sick leave and/or vacation balance?
Log onto WyoWeb and go to Faculty & Staff Resources-Employee Self Service. Your balances are available by selecting Leave Balance.

6. What is FMLA and how do I apply?
The Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) benefit is available to qualified employees who need to take time off work for medical reasons (including birth or adoption of a child). The federal law allows employees to take up to 12 weeks off. The FMLA Request form is on the HR website. (Contact person is Kira Poulson)

7. How can I donate sick leave to another employee?
You can donate sick leave to an eligible employee who has received approval for FMLA and who has an active request for donations. There is no limit on the number of hours that can be donated, but you must maintain a minimum sick leave balance of 80 hours. The Sick Leave Donation form is on the HR website. Email the form to  (Contact person is Kira Poulson)

8. I am leaving employment. What do I need to do about my benefits?
Exit interviews with the Employee Relations/Benefits partner are encouraged. Input about your experience working at UW is appreciated. In addition, information about terminal leave, when your health insurance and other benefits will end and options for continuing your insurance, and the options you have with respect to your retirement funds. Contact Michelle Holmes at 766-2438 to schedule an exit interview. If you are retiring, please contact Eric Goldenstein at 766-2437 to discuss your options.

9. I recently got married. How do I add my new spouse to my insurance?
Complete the Health, Dental and Life Insurance Application within 60 days of your marriage. A copy of your marriage certificate is required. If you have vision coverage, complete the Voluntary Benefit Application to add your new spouse. After the application form and marriage certificate are received, the coverage will be effective the date of your marriage.  When filling out the application, agency name is UW, number is N/A. You can email the forms and marriage certificate to, or mail to Wyoming Hall, room 148 or 150.
When you get married, also consider changing your beneficiary for your life insurance and retirement. Refer to the section on changing beneficiaries.

10. I have a new baby. How do I add my newborn to my insurance?
Complete the Health, Dental and Life Insurance Application within 60 days of your baby's birth. A copy of the birth certificate is required. The unofficial copy from the hospital is acceptable if it includes the baby's name and date of birth as well as both parents' names. The baby's Social Security Number is required when you receive it. A copy of the Social Security card is not required. Please submit the application form as soon as possible, even if you don't have the birth certificate or Social Security number yet.  If you want to include your baby on your vision plan, please fill out the additional Voluntary  Benefit Application.  When filling out the application, agency name is UW, number is N/A. You can email the forms and birth certificate to, or mail to Wyoming Hall, room 148 or 150.

11. How do I change my beneficiary for life insurance?
Log into WyoWeb – Faculty & Staff Resources-Employee Self Service if you are not sure which life insurance coverage you have. If you have the policy offered by the State of Wyoming, complete the Health, Dental and Life Insurance Application. If you have the life insurance offered by TIAA, you can find the proper form on their website. If you have the Supplemental Life insurance provided by the Wyoming Retirement System, visit their website.

Share This Page:

1000 E. University Ave. Laramie, WY 82071
UW Operators (307) 766-1121 | Contact Us | Download Adobe Reader

Twitter Icon Youtube Icon Instagram Icon Vimeo Icon Facebook Icon

Accreditation | Emergency Preparedness | Employment at UW | Gainfull Employment | Privacy Policy | Accessibility Accessibility information icon