Skip to Main Content

Apply Now to the University of Wyoming apply now
Biker on top of large rock formation on mountain

Non-Benefited & Student Employee Hire Checklist

__ I-9: Due no later than your first working day or your reporting date.

The Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 makes it unlawful for the University of Wyoming to hire any individual who has not complied with the law's verification requirement.  All international employees MUST go to International Student Services (ISS), Knight Hall, Room 241, first before completing their I-9.   Complete Section I of the Electronic Form I-9 ON or BEFORE your 1st day worked via our vendor, Sterling Talent Solutions.  You will be invited to complete your I-9 as part of your hiring experience or from a Staffing Partner.  You may also come directly to HR to complete an I-9.  Once Section 1 of the electronic Form I-9 is completed, you have 3 business days to complete Section 2 of the Electronic Form I-9, which is completed by HR at our office - located in Hill Hall room 327. Please see the List of Acceptable Documents if necessary.  To complete an I-9 form, all employees must submit original documents that establish employment authorization (i.e. passport and I-94).  For more information or questions contact the Human Resources Department at (307) 766-2377 or

International Employees:

__ International Student Services (ISS) Check

All non U.S. citizens and/or permanent residents must first confirm their immigration status and/or employment eligibility with International Student Services (Knight Hall, Room 241) prior to beginning any employment at the University of Wyoming.  These potential employees must bring relevant original travel/employment documents (i.e., valid passport, I-94, I-20/DS-2019, Resident Alien Card (Green Card), or I-797 (Approval Notice) to ISS for review prior to initiating the I-9 process.

__ Visa Applications/Fees

Non-immigrants that have questions regarding a change to their current visa status are urged to check with International Student Services (Knight Hall, Room 241) prior to making arrangements for any change in employment.  Please Note:  Visa fees and immigration petition fees are the responsibility of the individual and not the University of Wyoming. 

__ Tax Information

All International Employees must contact the Tax Office, Room 401, Old Main, prior to receiving their first paycheck to determine their status regarding United States taxes.  The United States has tax treaties with several countries that reduce tax rates on certain types of income.   Tax treaty information is available.  Exemption from taxes is not automatic.  Make an appointment with Casey Green (307) 766-2821 to review your tax situation and fill out any required paperwork to claim tax treaty benefits you may be entitled to.

 __ Social Security Number: Complete ASAP

All UW employees must have a valid U.S. Social Security Number.  Applications for a Social Security Number can be obtained from International Student Services (Cheney International Center, Suite 5 |Basement of Student Health). On-line applications are also acceptable, and can be found at  To get an original number and card, you'll need to complete an Application for a Social Security Card (Form SS-5), and show documents that prove your age, identity, U.S. citizenship or lawful alien status.

The process of receiving your permanent number and card can take anywhere from six to eight weeks.  In the meantime, you will be assigned a temporary Social Security number by Human Resources, Admissions, or the Campus Express office.  It is imperative that you bring your permanent number to Human Resources or Payroll Office as soon as you receive it.

Additional Information

__ WyoOne ID Card

The WyoOne ID card is your University identification card.  It allows you to write checks on campus, use library services, apply for a parking permit, access recreational facilities (purchased separately), and to receive a discount on athletic tickets (restrictions apply).  It can also be used as a debit card for on-campus purchases.  Spouses and dependent children are eligible for a card.  Please contact the WyoOne ID Office in the Information Technology Center (ITC Building) on the Main Floor or (307) 766-5267 with questions. Your first card is $10.00 (replacements are $20, so don’t lose it!).

__ Direct Deposit

Direct Deposit is available for all UW employees.  Contact the Payroll Office, Hill Hall, (307) 766-2217. You may also print off the form.

Get paid.  The first step to getting paid is to complete your payroll documents.  Make sure your I-9, W-4 and Direct Deposit form are all complete on or before your first day of work.  As a part-time, non-benefited employee, you will be paid bi-weekly, unless you are designated as a exempt employee (i.e. Graduate Assistant, Temporary Lecturer).  There are occasional exceptions to this, such as the month of December, so please check with your department or with the Payroll Office (766-2217) to verify.  You are strongly encouraged to sign up for direct deposit of your paycheck to ensure that you get your money ON payday.  If you choose not to sign up for direct deposit, your paycheck must be mailed and may not be received until sometime after the pay date.  Paystubs are available electronically through WyoCloud. 

__ Parking Permits

Vehicle and motorcycle parking permits are available to employees.  Contact Transit and Parking Services @ Hill Hall Room 427, (307) 766-9800 or obtain a form for permits online at

__ Know Your Rights and Responsibilities

The Employee Handbook is an invaluable resource and all employees are encouraged to read it. 

__ Get your Email Address

Email is the primary way that UW faculty, staff and students communicate! To get your very own address, complete the requested fields by visiting the IT Login Information page and you will be provided with a user name and password.

__ Get Trained

"Harassment and Discrimination Prevention" is a REQUIRED training for ALL employees within 90 days of hire.  For more information on this and other opportunities for training and professional development, please visit Diversity and Employment Practices and/or Human Resources Training pages.

Contact Us

Human Resources - Employment

Campus: Hill Hall, 3rd Floor

1000 E University Ave Dept 3422

Laramie, WY

Office Hours: Monday - Friday

Regular: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm

Summer: 7:30 am - 4:30 pm

Phone: 307.766.5604

Fax: 307.766.5607


1000 E. University Ave. Laramie, WY 82071
UW Operators (307) 766-1121 | Contact Us | Download Adobe Reader

Accreditation | Virtual Tour | Emergency Preparedness | Employment at UW | Privacy Policy | Harassment & Discrimination | Accessibility Accessibility information icon