Skip to Main Navigation. Each navigation link will open a list of sub navigation links.

Skip to Main Content

Apply to the University of Wyoming apply now
Visit Campus
Download UW Viewbook
Give to UW

Information about J-1 Research Scholars, Short-term Scholars, and Professors

 The J visa program is an Exchange Visitor Program with objectives of public diplomacy and mutual educational and cultural exchange. The University of Wyoming currently sponsors J-1 Exchange Visitors in the Student, Professor, Research Scholar and Short-Term Scholar categories. The J Exchange Visitor Program is a non-immigrant program meaning the visitor maintains ties to his/her home country and expects to return there upon completion of the exchange in the United States.

Length of Stay depends on the category in which the Exchange Visitor was admitted to the United States.  This category is noted on the DS-2019 document from UW.

  • Short-Term Scholars - 1 day to 6 months with no extensions beyond the 6 month maximum.
  • Professors and Research Scholars - 3 weeks with a maximum duration of 5 years.

Restrictions on Repeat Performance and Tenure

In addition to the general eligibility rules, participation in the Professor or Research Scholar categories is subject to the following additional conditions unique to participation in those categories:

  • The prospective exchange visitor cannot be a candidate for a tenure track position.
  • Prior participation in any J category may subject the prospective exchange visitor to the "12-month bar" prohibiting participation in a subsequent J Research Scholar or Professor program for at least 12 months.
  • Prior participation in the Professor or Research Scholar category may subject the prospective exchange visitor to the "24-month bar" on repeat participation in the same categories.

Please contact ISS staff for further information.

INA 212(e) Two-Year Home Residence Requirement

Exchange visitors who are subject to the two-year home country residence requirement cannot change their status to most other nonimmigrant classifications within the US, are not eligible for an immigrant visa (like H-1B or L) or for adjustment of status to lawful permanent resident (immigrant/green card) status until they have lived and been physically present in their "home" country for an aggregate of two years following their departure from the US. Apart from these specific restrictions, persons subject to 212(e) are treated as are all other exchange visitors, i.e., they remain eligible for program transfers and extension of their J status up to the limits of time for their particular category, etc.

The following subjects an individual and his/her dependents to the Two Year home country physical presence requirement:

  • Any financing from the US or the home country's government
  • Field and subject included in Exchange Visitor's Skill List
  • Advanced medical education or training for medical doctors
Contact Us

University of Wyoming International Students and Scholars

Department 3228

1000 E. University Avenue

Laramie, WY 82071

Phone: 307-766-5193


Find us on Facebook (Link opens a new window)

1000 E. University Ave. Laramie, WY 82071
UW Operators (307) 766-1121 | Contact Us | Download Adobe Reader

Accreditation | Virtual Tour | Emergency Preparedness | Employment at UW | Gainful Employment | Privacy Policy | Harassment & Discrimination | Accessibility Accessibility information icon