Skip to Main Content

Apply Now to the University of Wyoming apply now


College of Law

Business Organizations

Course Number: 6310
Professor: Mocsary
Credit Hours & Type of Credit: 3
Semester Offered: Fall
Required: No
Prerequisites: Students must have completed their first year of law school.
Recommended Courses: None

Course Overview: This is an introductory course into the law of business organizations. It explores the legal considerations in forming, carrying on, and terminating business enterprises. Specifically, this course deals with the management and control of business enterprises, the liabilities of owners, and the transferability of ownership interests.  The course will discuss the fiduciary duties of business managers and owners, as well as the issues that arise in suits based on the breach of these duties. In addition to the standard emphasis on state corporate law, especially that of Delaware, some attention will also be devoted to federal securities laws.

Course Materials: See the current Book List located under Courses and Curriculum.
Course Format: The required textbook contains cases and problems that are included in the assigned reading. Lectures will cover the topics included in the assigned readings and students will be expected to be prepared to discuss cases and problems assigned in the readings. Students will also be expected to prepare answers to assigned problems and be prepared to present their answers to the problems when called upon.
Written Assignments: None
Type of Exam: One final exam. The exams will include multiple choice questions and may also include essay questions.
Basis for Grading Student Performance: Ten percent (10%) of each student's grade in the course will depend on class participation when called upon. The final examinations will determine the remaining 90% of the grade.
Other Comments: Business Organizations is a prerequisite for Taxation of Business Entities, Business Planning, and Advanced Business Organizations. Students who have taken Agency and Partnership or Corporations may not take this class.

1000 E. University Ave. Laramie, WY 82071
UW Operators (307) 766-1121 | Contact Us | Download Adobe Reader

Accreditation | Virtual Tour | Emergency Preparedness | Employment at UW | Privacy Policy | Harassment & Discrimination | Accessibility Accessibility information icon