COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING AND APPLIED SCIENCE
- Ph.D., 1987, Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Princeton University, Princeton, NJ.
- M. Eng. 1982, Mechanical Engineering, McGill University, Montreal, Canada.
- B. Eng. 1980, Mechanical Engineering (Honors), McGill University.
- Professor, Mechanical Engineering, University of Wyoming, Laramie, WY.
August 2003 - Present
- Research Fellow, National Institute of Aerospace (NIA), Hampton, VA
January 2003 - August 2003
- Research Fellow, ICASE, NASA Langley Research Center, Hampton, VA
February 1997 - December 2002
- Staff Scientist, ICASE, NASA Langley Research Center, Hampton, VA
February 1987 - January 1997
- Research Engineer: Syncrude Canada, Edmonton Alberta, Canada,
May 1982-August 1983
- Consultant to Aerospace Industry in Computational Fluid Dynamics.
Our research is concerned with the development of unstructured mesh methods for computational fluid dynamics. These include discretization methods, solution methods such as multigrid and implicit methods for steady-state and time-accurate simulations, unstructured grid generation techniques and adaptive and moving mesh strategies. We are also interested in design optimization methods, and the efficient solution of coupled fluid-structural problems. All these efforts are performed in a parallel computing environment. The application areas include aerodynamics of commercial aircraft and business jets, and unsteady aeroelastic effects.
- Analysis of ``p''-Multigrid for Continuous and Discontinuous Finite Element Discretizations by B. Helenbrook, D. J. Mavriplis, and H. L. Atkins. AIAA Paper 2003-3989 presented at the 16th AIAA CFD Conference, Orlando, FL, June 2003.
- Drag Prediction Using Unstructured Mesh Solvers, D. J. Mavriplis VKI Lecture Notes, CFD-Based Aircraft Drag Prediction and Reduction, Von Karman Institute for Fluid Dynamics, Rhode-Saint-Genese, Belgium, February 2003.
- An Assessment of Linear versus Non-Linear Multigrid Methods for Unstructured Mesh Solvers, by D. J. Mavriplis, Journal of Computational Physics, Vol 175, pp. 302-325, January 2002.
- Large Eddy and Detached Eddy Simulations using an Unstructured Multigrid Solver, by D. J. Mavriplis, J. Pelaez and O. Kandil, Proc. of the 3rd AFOSR Int. Conf. on DNS/LES, Arlington, TX, August 2001, eds. C. L. Liu, L. Sakell, and T. Beutner.
- Large-Scale Parallel Unstructured Mesh Computations for 3D High-Lift Analysis by D. J. Mavriplis and S. Pirzadeh, AIAA Journal of Aircraft, Vol 36, No. 6, 1999, pp. 987-998.
- Unstructured Grid Techniques, by D. J. Mavriplis, Annual Review of Fluid Mechanics,1997, 29:473-514
- Unstructured Mesh Generation and Adaptivity, by D. J. Mavriplis, VKI Lecture Series VKI-LS 1995-02 Von Karman Institute for Fluid Dynamics, Rhode-Saint-Genese, Belgium 1995.
- Multigrid Techniques for Unstructured Meshes, by D. J. Mavriplis, VKI Lecture Series VKI-LS 1995-02, Von Karman Institute for Fluid Dynamics, Rhode-Saint-Genese, Belgium 1995.