Class meets: MWF 1:10–2 pm, EN 2102
Instructor: Eric Moorhouse
Office Hours: MW 2:10–3:30pm; R 9:30-11am. Subject to change.
See online schedule for current hours and
HW7 and HW8 are available below
Homework, Links etc.
- Students and Teachers
Working Together (UW policy on the rights and responsibilities of students
- UW Policy on Academic
- Syllabus / Policies
- The first course handout: Overview of Modern
new tiling of the Euclidean plane using congruent convex pentagons
- Affine Planes: An introduction to
the axiomatic method in geometry
- HW1 due Monday, Sept 14, 2015. Solutions.
Average grade: 49/50
- Course grades can be checked on WyoCourses
- HW2 due Friday, Sept 25, 2015. Postponednow
due Monday, Sept 28. Solutions. Average grade: 48/50
- More on the Axioms of Affine Plane Geometry
- Download GeoGebra (freeware
for Euclidean plane constructions) for your personal computer
- An application of affine planes
to the design of statistical experiments
- A mathematical
explanation of the game Set®.
Note on page 3 an example of a maximal set of points, no three collinear
- HW3 due Monday, Oct 12. Solutions.
- Introduction to Projective Planes
- In class we showed that the SpotIt®
game is based on a classical projective plane of order 7. Here
is an account of this connection, using a slightly different isomorphism found
in my Fall 2014 class
- HW4 Due Mon Oct 26 by 5pm. Solutions
- Sample Test in preparation for the
Test during class time on Wed Oct 28. Do not read the solutions
until you have worked through the sample test yourself
- Test and solutions.
constructions demonstrated using animations ... very cool!
- HW5 due Fri Nov 13, 2015. Solutions.
- HW6 due Mon Nov 16, 2015. Solutions.
- View the animation of Steiner
chains of circles
- HW7 due Mon Nov 30, 2015
- More constructions with straightedge and
compass, plus an explanation of Steiner chains of circles
- HW8 due Mon Dec 7, 2015