Sidebar Site Navigation
Department of Philosophy
Kernels of Wisdom - Major in Philosophy
Why major in philosophy? Perhaps because those trained in philosophy are likely to possess a better combination of verbal reasoning, quantitative reasoning, and analytical writing skills than those trained in any other major? (Jason Stanley, Rutgers University, June 8, 2008)
- PayScale.com; Best Undergraduate Degrees by Salary
- the Atlantic; Is Philosophy the Most Practical Major?
- thereitis.org, August 23, 2004; How to Get to the Top - Study Philosophy
- the Guardian, November 19, 2007; I think, therefore I earn
- Bloomberg.com, January 12, 2010; Philosophy is Back in Business
Quote from article: "By taking these steps and embracing a more philosophical approach to problem-solving, we will establish our character as the 21st century's defining competitive differentiator."
- The Times, August 15, 1998; Think On
Quote from article: "Philosophy is, in commercial jargon, the ultimate 'transferable work skill.'"
Wilfrid Laurier University; How Does Philosophy Relate to My Career. Making yourself marketable.
New York Times, April 6, 2008; In a New Generation of College Students, Many Opt for the Life Examined
Quote from article: "....studying philosophy, with its emphasis on the big questions and alternative points of view, provided good training for looking at larger societal questions."
- UC Berkeley; For the Love of Wisdom, Philosophy Majors Grow in Number at UC Berkeley
Quote from article: "Philosophy has given me the argumentative confidence to assert and defend a point, the humility to accept and modify my beliefs when others have valid arguments against mine, and the stamina to keep arguing."
- US News and World Report, 2008; Learn Philosophy: The Classic Discipline Can Help with Contemporary Dilemmas and Modern Careers
Quote from article: "The skills that philosophy teaches you are wonderfully transferable."
NPR.org, January 4, 2011; Philosophy Valued At One Community College
Quote from article: "Philosophy is a discipline that gives us the tools to really understand ourselves, and the skills to answer the mysteries that are really at the heart of ourselves and at the heart of life."
- Hart Research Associates, January 20, 2010; Raising the Bar: Employers' Views On College Learning In The Wake Of The Economic Downturn
Review of the article by Dr. Jeff Lockwood, University of Wyoming
- Jason Stanley of Rutgers University, April 5, 2010; The Crisis of Philosophy