Sidebar Site Navigation
What are health professional schools looking for?
All health professional schools are looking for students who are well prepared in basically three areas.
1. An experienced based understanding of the desired health profession, working with patients and the health industry -- Shadowing, Observation, Clinical Experience & Patient Contact
UW clubs and organizations focused on issues of health and well-being.
We believe in the interdisciplinary nature of health and encourage students, interested in health care professions, to get involved in community volunteer and activism projects!
- Student Health Advisory Council (SHAC)
Promote wellness throughout the campus community, serve as liaison between the University of Wyoming student body and Student Health, and perform various acts of community service
- FACE AIDS
- FACE AIDS fights community and global HIV/AIDS pandemic by building a movement of young leaders dedicated to health equity and social justice, and by providing socio-economic support to HIV-affected individuals living in impoverished communities.
- Pre-professional Health Honor Society that organizes and participates in various health advancement volunteer activities such as the annual UWYO MS Walk and the Be the Match Bone Marrow Donor Registry.
- Cowboy Choices & STEP UP!
- Cowboy Choices and STEP Up! are peer education groups. Cowboy Choices educates University of Wyoming students on how to drink responsibly and other alcohol related topics. STEP Up! educates students on issues of interpersonal violence.
- SexPERTS stands for Peer Educators for the Real Truth about Sex. We are a student organization that seeks to provide all of the UW and Laramie community with information and resources on contraception, STD's, healthy relationships and communication.
- Active Minds
- Active Minds is the nation’s only nonprofit organization dedicated to raising mental health awareness among college students. This student-run organization focuses on abolishing stigma and opening conversation about mental illness in a safe environment.
- Colleges Against Cancer
- American Cancer Society Colleges Against Cancer is a nationwide collaboration of college students, faculty, and staff dedicated to eliminating cancer by initiating and supporting programs of the American Cancer Society in college communities.
- Queer Advocacy Network
- The Queer Advocacy Network at the University of Wyoming is a Recognized Student Organization dedicated to the LGBT Equality Movement. Our primary focuses are politics, education and advocacy for equal rights at UW and beyond.
- Spectrum is an RSO designed to be a safe space for LGBQT members and allies of the Laramie Community to come feel safe and learn about the culture of the LGBQT Community.
- Up 'Til Dawn
- Up 'til Dawn is an organization that raises funds for St. Jude Children's Research Hospital
2. Skills and attributes such as leadership, cultural competency, a service orientation, the ability to apply research and statistics to real world problems and communication skills.
3. The demonstrated ability to succeed in the coursework and pass the licensure exam -- Academic prerequisites, competitive test scores, and a broad and rigourous undergraduate education.