Skip to Main Navigation. Each navigation link will open a list of sub navigation links.

Skip to Main Content

Apply to the University of Wyoming apply now
Visit Campus
Download UW Viewbook
Give to UW

University Catalog

VII. Other Information

Wyoming Senior Citizen Policy

Wyoming senior citizens, age 65 and over, who have been admitted to UW may enroll in university courses on a space available basis at no cost upon presentation of evidence of age and Wyoming residence prior to the beginning of the term in which classes will be taken.

Since standard registration fees will not be assessed, additional student benefits will not be available under the senior citizen policy. Alternatively, full-time senior citizen students wishing to receive student benefits may enroll and pay regular registration fees. Scheduled Outreach School classes which meet minimum enrollment requirements are included in the courses available to senior citizens.

Board of Trustee Retirement Benefits

Beginning Spring 2002, official board retirees may attend University of Wyoming classes on a space available basis at no cost. To qualify for this benefit, you must be an official board retiree, 25 years of university service or age 60 with 15 years of immediately preceding university service. The spouse of an eligible retiree may receive a fifty (50) percent tuition discount and a surviving spouse may receive the employee’s full tuition discount provided space is available.


Readmission is the process for former University of Wyoming students to again be admitted to the university. Former UW students who have attended another college since their last UW enrollment must have one official transcript from each college sent directly to the UW Admissions Office. Undergraduate students who are returning to UW after an absence of one year or longer should complete an application for admission at least 30 days prior to registration, thereby allowing sufficient time to avoid delays in registration.

Academic Reinstatement: Former students who are on academic suspension at UW must petition for reinstatement through the dean of their college. A petition for reinstatement must be submitted no later than 15 days before the beginning of the semester or summer term in which the student wishes to register. A petition received after this deadline may not be processed until after the regular registration period.

Academic Renewal: An undergraduate student who returns to UW and has not completed a college course at UW (excluding flexible enrollment [correspondence study]),  during the previous five years, will have the option of continuing his or her earlier UW cumulative GPA or commencing a new cumulative GPA under the Academic Renewal policy. Interested students must submit the Academic Renewal Application Form (which can be obtained in the Office of the Registrar) to the registrar no later than ten class days before the last day of classes of the semester in which the student returns to UW.

The entire UW transcript will remain intact. A note indicating the policy will precede the new part of the UW transcript if the student opts for academic renewal. At the discretion of the academic department in which the student is enrolled, credit hours for which the student earned the grade of C or better may be applied toward the completion of the degree requirements. The list of any departmentally approved courses must be indicated on the Academic Renewal Application Form when initially submitted to the registrar. No further changes may be requested.

A student’s GPA and completed courses that were applied to a baccalaureate degree are not eligible for academic renewal.

Residency Student Classification

The following Trustee regulations govern the classification of students at the University of Wyoming as resident or non-resident for tuition purposes, and shall be administered by the Associate Vice President for Enrollment Management and Registrar. (Trustee Regulation, Chapter VIII, Section 3.) See the University Regulations online for the most up-to-date version.

Student Classification for Tuition Assessment

Residing in Wyoming primarily as a student will not support a claim for resident status for tuition purposes. Qualifying for residency for tuition purposes at the University of Wyoming differs from what is normally required to be a “resident” of the State of Wyoming. A person may be considered a “resident” of Wyoming and still be a Non-Resident for tuition purposes at the University of Wyoming.

The governing regulation for residency classification for tuition and fee purposes, as approved by the University of Wyoming Board of Trustees, is UW Regulation 8-1. See the University Regulations online for the most up-to-date version.


The University of Wyoming will determine the initial classification of resident or nonresident status for tuition purposes. Students classified as nonresidents who feel they meet residency requirements may apply to change their status through a form approved by the Office of the Registrar.

If a student classified as an out-of-state resident for tuition purposes wishes to petition their residency status at the University of Wyoming, they will need to conclusively demonstrate they have established a permanent home in Wyoming. Students must submit the Petition for Residency for Tuition Purposes, along with all specified relevant, appropriate, and verifiable documentation to the Office of the Registrar. The deadline for submission is no later than 5 p.m. of the first day of classes for the semester the student wishes to petition, based off of the University’s academic calendar. The student bears the burden of providing documentation to show a permanent home has been established in Wyoming based on the required criteria of UW Regulation 8-1(III)(B)(8). See the University Regulations online for the most up-to-date version.

The Registrar or designee will evaluate the student’s petition and documentation to determine whether the student has established a permanent home in Wyoming based on the requirements set forth in UW Regulation 8-1(III)(B)(8) or met any other residency criteria in UW Regulation 8-1. See the University Regulations online for the most up-to-date version. If a student subsequently meets the criteria of being a resident for tuition purposes, the student’s residency status will be reclassified by the Office of the Registrar and the resident tuition rate will become effective the semester the student submitted the petition. Under no circumstances will any tuition or fee adjustments be retroactively applied to previous semesters.

If a student’s petition is denied, the student will be notified in writing of the denial.

Appealing the Registrar’s Decision

If a student has a petition denied by the Registrar, the student may appeal the decision by submitting the Denied Residency Petition Appeal form to the Office of the Registrar within ten (10) calendar days of the original decision by the Registrar or designee.

The Residency Classification Committee will receive the student’s Denied Residency Petition Appeal form, the written decision of the Registrar, and the student’s previously-submitted petition and documentation which were submitted to the Registrar prior to the submission deadline for that semester. The Residency Classification Committee will determine if an error was made by the Registrar and will make a decision to affirm or reverse the classification decision of the Registrar. The decision of the Residency Classification Committee is final and there is no further level of appeal for that semester.

1000 E. University Ave. Laramie, WY 82071
UW Operators (307) 766-1121 | Contact Us | Download Adobe Reader

Accreditation | Virtual Tour | Emergency Preparedness | Employment at UW | Gainful Employment | Privacy Policy | Harassment & Discrimination | Accessibility Accessibility information icon