Welcome to the Department of Residence
Life & Dining Services’ web page for the Resident Assistant (RA) and
Apartment Living Assistant (ALA) selection process.
residence hall and apartment communities should provide an atmosphere that is
conducive to study as well as social interaction and individual development.
Our student staff work with students and other RLDS personnel to promote a
socially, culturally, and educationally enriching experience for students.
We consider the RA/ALA to be one of the
most important student staff positions on campus, and are required to play a
variety of roles. Please see below for details!
RA/ALA Job Duties
include but are not limited to:
- Role model positive personal, academic and
- Create an inclusive and welcoming environment
for all students.
- Building and maintain a positive and
professional working relationship with my supervisor(s) and fellow staff
- Be able to effectively communicate in writing
and in person.
- Have knowledge and understanding of campus and
community resources in order to refer students to appropriate assistance.
- Be present, engaged and visible in residential
- Actively build community amongst residential
students through individual interactions, programming and community events.
- Assist with all administrative, facility and
operation tasks and deadlines required within the position as outlined by the
- Perform duty functions as established by the
Department to enforce policies, ensure safety and serve as a resource to the
- Work 9-10 hours at the community desk per week;
shifts are established by the Department.
- Not exceed more than a total of 10 hours of
non-academic activities (including outside jobs).
- Adhere to all Federal and State Laws as well as
University and Departmental policies (as outline in the Rights and Responsibilities, Code
of Conduct and Employee Handbook)
whether on or off campus.
Minimum Qualifications to apply for RA/ALA Positions:
- You must have a minimum cumulative University of
Wyoming Grade Point Average of 2.7 which must be maintained throughout your
employment as a student staff member (3.0 graduate; 2.0 pharmacy and law).
- Have earned 24 credit hours by the time of
employment and we prefer you to have lived at least one semester within UW RLDS housing.
- Be enrolled as a full-time student (12 hours
undergraduate; 9 hours graduate).
- You must be available to work during University
- You must be in good standing financially,
academically, and judicially with Residence Life & Dining Services and the
University of Wyoming.
- You must be available from 6-8 pm (RA) or 5-7pm
(ALA) each Monday evening of the semester for in-service and staff meetings.
- You must be available for training sessions each
semester (RAs: 2-3 weeks prior to fall semester; 1 week prior to spring
semester; ALAs: contract date begins in June).