The University of Wyoming does not offer an online certificate program in land management. Please click here to learn about an accredited online certificate program.
Interested in an Online Certificate Program?
Coordinator, Student Advising
Energy Innovation Center Room 338
School of Energy Resources
1000 E. University Ave.
Laramie, WY 82071
Professional Land Management Concentration
The Professional Land Management (PLM) concentration is accredited by the American Association of Professional Landmen (AAPL). The University of Wyoming program prepares nationally accredited professional landmen for long-term competitive success in the energy industry. The landman has an important role in maintaining sound stewardship of energy resources.
What is a landman?
- Determine ownership and title of surface and subsurface rights.
- Negotiate leases with landowner(s) and develop and administer mutually beneficial contracts and royalties with the assistance of corporate counsel to allow exploration and production.
- Coordinate field exploration activities connecting the lease owner(s) and the exploration/production company.
- Ensure compliance with governmental regulations, collaborates with stakeholders including engineers, geologists, accountants, and attorneys.
Skill sets for a successful landman
- Knowledge of energy, geology, engineering, business, law, economics and finance, accounting, and regulatory policy.
- Specific understanding of legal descriptions and contracts, lease development and implementation, mineral/oil/gas law, drilling and energy asset development processes, federal/state/local regulations on permitting and leasing.
- Workforce success skills such as critical analysis, problem solving, self-directed, life-long learning, ethics and credibility, initiative, self-improvement, entrepreneurship, and pride in accomplishments.
- People skills in interpersonal interactions, communication, negotiation, relationship building and leadership.
Why study to be a landman?
- Great long-term career opportunities in the oil, gas, wind, solar, uranium, and coal industries.
- Exciting, challenging and fulfilling profession.
- Make a difference in people's lives by building trustworthy relationships and seeking mutually beneficial solutions to energy exploration and production issues.
- Oil and Gas
- Federal and state government
- Law firms
- Independent landmen brokerage companies
- Surface Landman
- Mineral Landman
- Division Order Analyst
- Realty Specialist
- Right-of-Way Agent