Skip to Main Content

Veterans Services|Division of Student Affairs


Q: I am a dependent of an active duty Airman registered for fall classes. My husband has transferred his benefits to me under the Post-9/11 GI Bill. I just received my Certificate of Eligibility. As I understand it I need to provide your office with a copy. I live in Cheyenne, WY and work fulltime so getting to campus is a bit of a problem for me. Is there a way we can handle this through email, fax, or mail?
A: Yes, you can submit the eligibility letter by fax, email or mail. Please use the following information to submit your paperwork.

Office of Student Financial Aid
Dept 3335, 1000 E. University Ave.
Laramie, WY 82071
Fax number 307-766-3800

Q: I am currently AD Air Force though I hope to be a full-time student in Laramie for the fall term. I need to know how to deal with my GI bill. I will separate from active duty August 24 after only 10 or 15 days of terminal leave and start school on the 25th. When/how should I apply for GI bill? I do not want the system to see me as still active duty and not pay BAH.
A: You are correct in not wanting the VA to process your education benefits with you still being active duty. You will need to wait until you are officially separated from the Military to apply for your GI Bill benefits. Please use the VA website to apply for the Post 911 GI Bill electronically. We will need a copy of the application and your DD-214 member 4 form once you separate. You will still be able to start school on the 25th. You will just need to make sure that you have submitted a copy of your application, DD-214 and Registration card with your class schedule on it. We will then let the business office know that you will be receiving the Post 911 GI Bill to cover your tuition and fees at the undergraduate resident rate.

Q: How long it will take the VA to process my application for my GI Bill benefits?
A: It takes the VA approximately 8-10 weeks to process new claims.

Q: When will I start receiving payment from the VA for my education benefits?
A: The VA pays retroactively at the end of each month. You are required to be enrolled in courses and attending classes. If you start school in the fall semester then you should plan on receiving your first payment at the end of September. They will pro-rate for the short amount of days in August and pay you for the full month of September. If you are receiving the Post 911 GI Bill the school will receive payment for your tuition and fees and you will receive payment for your BAH and book stipend.

Q: What do I need to do to have you certify my enrolled hours with the VA?
A: You are required to complete a registration card with the VA Certifying official at the beginning of each semester. Please contact Denise Jairell at

Q: I had found a Wyoming statute, 19-14-106 that explains that a war veteran can receive 10 paid semesters at the University. Is this true?
A: The program that you are referring to is called the Overseas Combat Veteran Program that the State of Wyoming offers. Please contact Susan Beliaj at She is the program administrator and she will be able to help you with the application process.

Q: The Wyoming National Guard is paying my tuition and fees. Does it cover everything and how do I apply for it?
A: The Wyoming National Guard covers mandatory tuition and fees. It does not cover online fees or individual course fees. There is packet that you are required to complete and submit to the financial aid office at the beginning of each semester. There are a couple of different options of getting the packet. You can get the form in the Financial Aid office at Knight Hall room 174 or you can download it from the Financial Aid website under forms. Here is the link for your convenience. Your unit is required to approve it and complete the last page. Your unit should also have copies of the packet for your convenience.

Q: Why didn't my basic training meet the University Studies Physical Education requirement?
A: The USP-P requirement has two components: a physical activity of the student's choosing and a wellness concepts lecture component. All students with military service earn activity credit by virtue of completing basic training. Students are still required to complete the wellness component, however. The procedure for doing so is found on the University Studies web site at the following link:

Q: How does residency work for veterans?
A: The universities policy for resident tuition rates can be found at: Students whose home of record is Wyoming will automatically receive the resident tuition rate, so long as they begin at the University of Wyoming shortly following their service. Wyoming National Guard members and active military stationed in Wyoming, and their dependents also automatically qualify for the resident tuition rate. Other service members who move to Wyoming immediately following their military service will also be considered for immediate residency, so long as they also provide proof that they have obtained a Wyoming driver's license and have registered any vehicles owned with the state of Wyoming. All other situations should refer to the resident tuition policy at the site above, or contact the UW Admissions Office at 800-342-5996 or for details.

Q: How do I apply for aid at the University of Wyoming?
A: To apply for aid at UW you need to complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) Certain types of aid, usually loans, do require additional paperwork AFTER you have been awarded aid, but only the FAFSA is required to determine your eligibility.

Q: Why do veterans need to do the FAFSA?
A: It is recommended for all students to complete the FAFSA. It is a requirement by the Department of Education for a student to complete the FAFSA each year in order to be awarded Federal Financial aid. Visit for more information.

Q: What Federal programs are students applying for by completing the FAFSA?
A: Undergraduate (no previous bachelor's degree) students are applying for:

Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG), Federal Perkins Loan, Federal Direct Loan Programs (including Federal Direct PLUS Loans), Federal Work-Study opportunities, Scholarships. Graduate/Professional students may apply for: Federal Direct Loan Programs (including Federal Direct PLUS Loans), Federal Perkins Loan, Federal Work-Study opportunities, Certain scholarships.

Share This Page:

Footer Navigation

University of Wyoming
1000 E. University Ave. Laramie, WY 82071 // UW Operators (307) 766-1121 // Contact Us