Skip to Main Content

Apply Now to the University of Wyoming apply now
individuals talking while seated at table

Transfer Credit Petition Process

The University of Wyoming offers a petition process for students who have taken courses at previous institutions. This process is for students who were awarded credit at UW (e.g. ELEC 1000, N/A) for a particular course and wish to have it reevaluated. The purpose of the reevaluation is to ask for credit to count as equivalent to a specific University of Wyoming course or USP requirement. This reevaluation could also take place if a student changes their major and potentially needs a course realigned to the new requirements.

To participate, please review the criteria and process below. As this process can be time consuming, depending on the situation, please allow up to 4 weeks for processing.


  • Students must be UW students with a W number. Students need to either be currently matriculated or be an incoming student who has received an official transcript evaluation from the Office of the Registrar (OTR). If you have not yet received an official evaluation from OTR, please wait until that process is complete.

  • The transfer courses up for petition must be taken from an institution within the United States. The petition process is not for international or study abroad coursework.

Student Process:

  • Complete the Transfer Credit Petition Form:

  • You must upload a copy of the syllabus for each course you are petitioning. Failure to supply a syllabus will result in your petition being delayed or rejected.

  • After your petition is reviewed (and approved or denied), please communicate with your academic advisor regarding next steps with coursework.

Transfer Student Success Process:

  • An office staff member will confirm receipt of your materials and verify that the criteria above are met.

  • Your materials will be reviewed by the appropriate department, office, or committee.

  • Once a decision is made, you will be notified of the outcome via UW email.

  • If your appeal is denied, no change will be made to your academic record.

  • If your appeal is approved, our office will notify OTR to update your records per the approved equivalency.

Questions about this process should be directed to


1000 E. University Ave. Laramie, WY 82071
UW Operators (307) 766-1121 | Contact Us | Download Adobe Reader

Accreditation | Virtual Tour | Emergency Preparedness | Employment at UW | Privacy Policy | Harassment & Discrimination | Accessibility Accessibility information icon