Skip to Main Content

Apply Now to the University of Wyoming apply now

Frequently Asked Questions

1. Who is Required to Meet the USP 2003 Program?

All first-year students who enter the University of Wyoming fall 2003 or later (see University Catalog for university policy). 

All re-entering students who have been away from the university and Wyoming community colleges for one or more years (see General Bulletin for university policy).  

All out-of-state transfer students who entered the university fall 2003 or later. Present UW policy requires that out-of-state transfer students come under the jurisdiction of the UW bulletin of the year in which they enter (see General Bulletin for university policy).

2. Are Students Pursing a Second Bachelor's Degree Required to Meet the University Studies Requirements?

No.  Students seeking a second bachelor’s degree who obtained the first degree at an accredited institution do not have to meet the USP requirements.

3. Will Wyoming Community College Students be Required to Meet the USP 2003 Requirements When They Transfer to UW?

Students who matriculated at a Wyoming community college prior to Fall semester 2003 will have the option of meeting either the USP 1991 requirements OR the USP 2003 requirements. 

4. Can a Continuing UW Student Have the Option of Meeting the USP 2003 Requirements?

Yes, a continuing student may choose to complete the USP 2003 program; however, once a student has switched to the new program, he or she cannot switch back to USP 1991.  By switching to USP 2003, students will also become responsible for meeting 2003 college requirements and may be held to new department or major requirements, as well.  Students should check with their advisors or departments to find out what their new requirements will be.

5. Will a Student Who Changes Majors Have to Meet the USP 2003 Requirements?

No.  If a student enrolled prior to fall 2003 changes majors, he or she may choose between the two programs.  However, that student will be responsible for meeting college and department requirements and should check with the advisor or department for more information.

6. Can a Student Fullfill Part of USP 1991 and Part of USP 2003?

No.  A student must choose one of the programs and complete all of the requirements within that program.

7. Will a Student Be Able to Use a Course Approved for USP 1991 to Fullfill a Requirement Under USP 2003? For Example, Could a Student Use a W3 Course to Fullfull a Writing 3 (WC) Requirement in USP 2003?

No.  Only courses approved for USP 2003 can be used to fulfill USP 2003 requirements.

8. What Should a Student Do if They Are Under the 1991 USP But Have Not Met the F1 Requirement?

There are two options:

Switch to the USP 2003 (if the student has not progressed very far in the 1991 USP program, this might be the best option.)

Petition to substitute the reflective essay in which the student will demonstrate that he or she has mastered the components and concepts of the freshman seminar for the F1 requirement.  Additional information is available from the University Studies Coordinator.

9. Are There Any Additional Requirements in the Separate UW Colleges?

Yes, some UW colleges have additional requirements.  For example, the College of Arts and Sciences has an additional “Core” requirement.  Students will be advised of any additional college-specific requirements when they declare a major in a specific college.

10. Is There a Minimum Grade Requirement for Any or All of the USP Categories?

The only grade requirement is for C or better in the WA category.  All other courses are subject to University requirements for passing.

11. Can Students Take University Studies Courses for S/U Credit?

No (see the University Catalog for university policy).  University Studies requirements may not be taken for S/U.  The only exception to this rule is if the course is offered for S/U only.

12. Who is Required to Fulfill the Intellectual Community (I) Requirement?

The I requirement is required of all first-year students who enter UW or transfer to UW with fewer than 16 transferable credits, which must be earned after high school graduation.  College credit hours earned prior to high school graduation do not count toward this minimum.  The I course is strongly recommended, though not required for Wyoming community college transfer students, out-of-state transfer students and re-entering students with 16-29 credit hours. 

13. Who is Required to Take the Information Literacy (L) Course?

The L course is required for all students under USP 2003.  Even if the I requirement is waived, you must still meet the L requirement.  However, some students may be eligible to satisfy the L requirement  if they meet one of the following criteria AND pass the TIP exam, offered by the University Libraries, with a minimum score of 70%.  This approach is temporary, and should be used when it is the only reasonable and timely option for the student.  Students will receive no credit hours for the exam and will not be assessed a fee.  The eligibility criteria are:

A.   Students who transfer to UW with 16 or more credits (post high school) or

B.   Students who began their UW career under USP 1991, left UW for one or more years, and are returning to UW under USP 2003.


14. Are All Students Required to Meet the Quantitative Reasoning 1 (QA) Requirement?

Yes.  All students under USP 2003 must either take a QA course, or test out of a QA course.  Contact the Math Department for additional information on the Math Placement Exam and testing out of the QA requirement

15. Are There Additional USP Requirements for Students Who Transfer From Wyoming Community Colleges with AA or AS Degrees?

Yes, students will be required to take the upper-division WC course.  They will also have to take the second 3 hours of math if they did not complete it at the community college.

16. Are International Students and Study Abroad Students Required to Satisfy the Global Awareness (G) Requirement?

Yes, however, they may be able to satisfy the G requirement without completing a traditional G course.  International students receiving a degree from UW with at least one semester of residence can satisfy the G requirement through their undergraduate experience at UW.  Students who are citizens of the US can petition to satisfy the G requirement by studying abroad.  The experience must be associated with:

a.  a university course

b.  a course that extends for two or more months; and

c.  the completion of the G Criteria Review form to be assessed by the G subcommittee of the USP committee OR the completion of INST 2200.  

17. What About Re-Entering and Transfer Students Who May Have Previous Credit in Equivalent Courses or Categories?

Substitutions must be petitioned using the University Studies Petition and approved in writing by the student’s advisor, the affected department, and the associate provost for Academic Affairs, who is also the University Studies Program Coordinator.

18. Will Transfer Students Have to Meet the US and Wyoming Constitutions (V) Requirement?

All transfer students will have to meet the V requirement.  However, if they have completed a portion of the requirement (either Wyoming or US Constitutions) they will only be required to complete the remaining component at the University of Wyoming.

19. Do All Students Have to Complete Both Portions of the Physical Activity and Health (P) Requirement?

All students, regardless of age or disability, are required to meet this requirement.  The courses are carefully constructed to be compatible with all ages and physical conditions. 

20. What If a Student Transfers Credit for the Activity Portion of the Physical Activity and Health (P) Requirement, But Hasn't Met the Lecture Portion?

Students who have completed either the lecture or physical activity component of P at another college or university will only be required to complete the remaining component at the University of Wyoming.  (See meeting the P requirement)

21. Do Student Athletes and ROTC Students Have to Complete the Physical Activity and Health (P) Requirements?

Students may complete the physical activity component of the P requirement by being active members of a University of Wyoming varsity athletic team, or of a university club team that involves the cardiovascular endurance component of P courses, or by enrolling in PEAC 1272—ROTC cardiovascular conditioning.  The student must be concurrently enrolled in the lecture portion of a P course.  

22. Will a Transfer Student's Two .5 PE Classes Still Be Able to Fulfill the Physical Activity and Health (P) Requirement if the Student Chooses to Complete the USP 2003?

Transfer students from Wyoming community colleges who have not completed their AA/AS degree will be able to meet the P requirement if they have completed two .5 credit courses at their community college.

23. If a Student Has UW Work Prior to Fall 1991 That Includes Old Courses (like English 301FG) That Were Previously Accepted for General Education Credit, and Wants/Needs the USP 2003, Will Those Courses Fullfill the Requirement?

Each one of these student's circumstances is increasingly unique. Rather than a blanket policy that states these courses are considered equivalent for USP 2003, the University Studies petition process with some documentation that helps the USP coordinator better understand the circumstance should be used.  The writing exam may also be a valid solution.

24. Do Students Have to Take/Pass the TIP Exam in Order to Receive Credit for an L Course?

Yes, students must pass the TIP exam with 70% or more in order to receive a passing grade and credit for an L designated course. If and I and L components are together the student will not receive credit for either designation if the TIP exam is not taken/passed.

Contact Us

Academic Affairs

1000 E. University Ave

Dept. 3302

Laramie, WY 82071

Phone: 307 766-4286


1000 E. University Ave. Laramie, WY 82071
UW Operators (307) 766-1121 | Contact Us | Download Adobe Reader

Accreditation | Virtual Tour | Emergency Preparedness | Employment at UW | Privacy Policy | Harassment & Discrimination | Accessibility Accessibility information icon