Skip to Main Navigation. Each navigation link will open a list of sub navigation links.

Skip to Main Content

Apply to the University of Wyoming apply now

Global Resource Navigation

Visit Campus
Download UW Viewbook
Give to UW

Wyoming Business Tips for July 8-July 14

July 2, 2012

A weekly look at Wyoming business questions from the Wyoming Small Business Development Center (WSBDC), part of WyomingEntrepreneur.Biz, a collection of business assistance programs at the University of Wyoming.

By Margie Rowell, WSBDC regional director

“My banker said I need a ‘tax ID’ to open a bank account for my new business. What is that, and where do I get one? Sabrina, Jackson

Many times bankers will tell a new business owners that they need tax IDs, but there are different types of tax IDs.

Do they mean an Employer Identification Number (EIN) or a Wyoming Sales Tax Number? What are the differences?

An Employer Identification Number (EIN) also is known as a Federal Tax Identification Number and is used to identify a business entity. This is normally what the bankers mean when they say “tax ID.”

If you answer “yes" to any of the following questions, you will need an EIN: Do you have employees? Do you operate your business as a corporation or a partnership? Do you file any of these tax returns: employment, excise, or alcohol, tobacco and firearms? Do you withhold taxes on income, other than wages, paid to a nonresident alien? Do you have a Keogh plan?

Wyoming Sales/Use Tax License Number also can be referred to as a Tax ID number. This normally is not what the banker is referring to when he says you need a tax ID. This ID number is needed for any person who meets the definition of vendor and must license to collect and remit sales tax.

For more information about a Wyoming Sales Tax Identification Number, contact Terri Lucero, Wyoming Department of Revenue, Education and Taxability Services manager, at (307) 777-5293, or email

Information also is available on the website at Free and confidential meeting with an adviser is available.

A blog version of this article and an opportunity to post comments is available at

The WSBDC is a partnership of the U.S. Small Business Administration, the Wyoming Business Council and the University of Wyoming. To ask a question, call 1-800-348-5194, email or write 1000 E. University Ave., Dept. 3922, Laramie, WY, 82071-3922.

Share This Page:

1000 E. University Ave. Laramie, WY 82071
UW Operators (307) 766-1121 | Contact Us | Download Adobe Reader

Twitter Icon Youtube Icon Instagram Icon Facebook Icon

Accreditation | Virtual Tour | Emergency Preparedness | Employment at UW | Gainful Employment | Privacy Policy | Accessibility Accessibility information icon