Sidebar Site Navigation
Welcome to the Wyoming Geographic Alliance
The Wyoming Geographic Alliance (WGA), founded in 1990, is one of the 52 state-based alliances sponsored by the National Geographic Society. The goal of the WGA is to improve geography education in Wyoming. The WGA provides professional development programs for teachers, publishes a newsletter, distributes teaching materials, acts as a clearinghouse for curriculum materials and organizes National Geographic Awareness Week in Wyoming. The WGA is housed at the Department of Geography of the University of Wyoming.
2012-2013 WGA Goals:
- Work with the UW Education Department to train pre-service secondary and elementary teachers to be WGA Teacher Consultants (TCs).
- Collaborate with the Wyoming State Department of Education to have input into the Social Studies Common Core Standards
- Continue legislative outreach
- Work with the UW Foundation to develop successful partnerships
- Continue to develop a relationship between Wyoming teachers and the Colorado Council for the Social Studies
- Continue the partnership with WYGISC at UW (Wyoming Geographic Information Science Center)
- Post teacher-created lesson plans on the WGA website