College of Engineering and Physical Sciences
Colton Grasmick, Dual-degree Student
Room 6038, Engineering Building
Dr. Bart Geerts
- The role of bores and solitary waves in convection within the nocturnal boundary layer.
- Kelvin-Helmholtz dynamics and their microphysical effects within topographic precipitation.
- Dual wavelength radar applications using W- and Ka-band radars aboard the UW King
- A.Sc., General Science, Otero Junior College, 2013
- B.Sc., Earth Science – Meteorology, University of Northern Colorado, 2015
- M.Sc., Atmospheric Science, University of Wyoming, 2018
Grasmick, C., and B. Geerts, 2020: Detailed dual-Doppler structure of Kelvin-Helmholtz waves from
an airborne profiling radar over complex terrain. Part I: Dynamic structure. Atmos. Sci., under review as of 10/19.
- Tessendorf, Sarah A. and Coauthors, 2019: A transformational approach to winter orographic
weather modification research: The SNOWIE Project. Amer. Meteor. Soc., 100, 71-92, doi:10.1175/BAMS-D-17-0152.1.
- Lin, G., B. Geerts, Z. Wang, Grasmick, X. Jing, and J. Yang, 2019: Interactions Between a Nocturnal MCS and the Stable
Boundary Layer, as Observed by an Airborne Compact Raman Lidar During PECAN. Mon. Wea. Rev., doi:10.1175/MWR-D-18-0388.1.
Grasmick, C., B. Geerts, D. D. Turner, Z. Wang, and T. M. Weckwerth, 2018: The Relation between
Nocturnal MCS Evolution and Its Outflow Boundaries in the Stable Boundary Layer: An
Observational Study of the 15 July 2015 MCS in PECAN. Wea.Rev., 146, 3203-3226, doi:10.1175/MWR-D-18-0169.1.
- Mueller, D., B. Geerts, Z. Wang, M. Deng, and Grasmick, 2017: Evolution and Vertical Structure of an Undular Bore Observed on 20 June 2015
during PECAN. Mon. Wea. Rev., doi:10.1175/MWR-D-16-0305.1.
- Laird, N. F., N. D. Metz, L. Gaudet, C. Grasmick, L. Higgins, C. Loeser, and D. A. Zelinsky, 2016: Climatology of cold season lake-effect
cloud bands for the North American Great Lakes. Int. J. Climatol., doi:10.1002/joc.4838.
- AMS oral presentation (2020): How do small-scale updrafts such as KH waves affect
the seedablitity of clouds near complex terrain?
- AMS oral presentation (2018): Convection initiation along the outflow boundary of
the 15 July 2015 nocturnal MCS in western Kansas.
- AGU poster presentation (2015): The Effects of Changing Climatological Variables on
Upwelling along the Southern California Coast.
- AMS poster presentation (2015): Climatology of Great Lakes Lake-Effect: Relation to