Civil and Architectural Engineering
College of Engineering and Physical Sciences
- Ph.D. Civil Engineering, Illinois Institute of Technology
- M.S. Management Science and Engineering, China University of Mining and Technology,
- B.S. Industrial Engineering, Harbin University of Commerce
Academic and Professional Experience:
- Associate Professor, Construction Management, Dept. of Applied and Engineering Technology,
Eastern Kentucky University, Richmond, Kentucky (2018-2020)
- Assistant Professor, Construction Management, Dept. of Applied and Engineering Technology,
Eastern Kentucky University, Richmond, Kentucky (2014-2018)
- Engineer, Dynasty Group Inc., Chicago, Illinois (2010 -2013)
Areas of Teaching:
- Introduction to Construction Management
- Construction Graphics/BIM Applications
- Plan Reading
- Bidding and Estimating
- Construction Contracts Administration
- Project Organization and Supervision
- Engineering Economic Analysis
- Construction Structural Design
- Automated Construction Progress Control
- Workplace Safety with Wearable Technology Innovation
- Applications of LiDAR in Civil Engineering and Construction Management
- Construction Schedule Delay Analysis
Licensure and Certificate:
- License of Construction Quality Management for Contractors, by U.S. Army Corps of
Engineers, License #: LRL091500793
- Certified Construction Documents Technologist (CDT), by Construction Specification
- Environmental and Erosion Control Specialist (ECATTS), by Naval Facilities Engineering
- Certificate of completing OSHA 30 hours Outreach Training, OSHA
- Construction Manager in Training (CMIT), by Construction Management Association of
- Procore Certified: Associate, by Procore Technologies, License #: xpztvjuq6t4k
- Independent Applying the QM Rubric (APPQMR) Certificate, by Quality Matters.
- Associated School of Construction (ASC) Regional Teaching Award, 2017
- Construction Management Association of America (CMAA) Foundation Scholarship, 2012
- Dean’s fellowship, Illinois Institute of Technology, 2009
Selected Journal Publications:
- Li, H., Zhang, C.*, Liu, Y., Arditi, D., Xu, C., & Shim, E. (2022). Academia and Industry Perceptions
of Construction Planning and Scheduling Education. ASCE Journal of Civil Engineering Education, 148(3), 04022005. doi:10.1061/(ASCE)EI.2643-9115.0000064
- Lv, L., Wang, Z., Li, H., Zhang, C., & Qiao, R. (2022). Tournament Incentive Mechanisms Design for Long-Distance Water
Diversion Projects Incorporating Preference Heterogeneity. ASCE Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, 148(6), 04022036. doi:10.1061/(ASCE)CO.1943-7862.0002284
- Dobrucalı, E., Sadikoglu, E., Demirkesen, S., Zhang, C., & Tezel, A. (2022). Evaluating The Impact of Covid-19 On The U.S. Construction
Industry: Challenges And Opportunities. IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management. 1–13. doi:10.1109/TEM.2022.3155055
- Wang, F., Li, H., Cao, Y., Zhang, C., & Ran, Y. (2022) Knowledge Sharing Strategy and Emission Reduction Benefits of Low
Carbon Technology Collaborative Innovation in the Green Supply Chain. Frontiers in Environmental Science 9:783835. https:// doi:10.3389/fenvs.2021.783835
- Lv, L., Li, H., Wang, Z., Zhang, C., & Qiao, R. (2022). Evolutionary game analysis for rent-seeking behavior supervision
of major infrastructure projects based on prospect theory. Journal of Civil Engineering and Management, 28(1), 6–24. https://doi.org/10.3846/jcem.2021.15852
- Bayhan, H.G.,Demirkesen, S., Zhang, C., & Tezel, A. (2022). A Lean Construction and BIM Interaction Model for the Construction
Industry, Production Planning and Control, E-print, ahead of print, https://doi.org/10.1080/09537287.2021.2019342
- Li, H., Wang, F., Zhang, C., Wang, L., An, X., & Dong, G. (2021). Sustainable supplier selection for water environment
treatment public-private partnership projects. Journal of Cleaner Production, 324, 129218. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2021.129218
- Zhang, C., & Arditi, D., & Liu, P. (2021), Integrating Laser-scanning Technology into a Construction
Engineering and Management Curriculum, 2021 ASEE Annual Conference Content Access, https://peer.asee.org/37361
- Arias, S., Li, H., Zhang, C.*, & Jiang, A. (2021). Predictive analytics on engineer manual 385 effectiveness of
reducing number and severity of mishaps. Canadian Journal of Civil Engineering. 10.1139/cjce-2020-0319.
- Demirkesen, S., Zhang, C. (2021), Lean TRIZ method to prevent safety-related problems in the construction industry, Journal of Construction Engineering, Management & Innovation, 4 (2), Pages 068-079, https://doi.org/10.31462/jcemi.2021.02068079
- Li, H., Wang, F., Wang, L., Su, L., Zhang, C., & Wu, G. (2020). The Stochastic Evolution Game of Knowledge Sharing in the Infrastructure
PPP Supply Chain Network. Complexity, 2020, 8858845.
- Zhang, C., & Arditi, D. (2020). Advanced Progress Control of Infrastructure Construction Projects
Using Terrestrial Laser Scanning Technology. Infrastructures, 5(10).
- Li, Y., li, H., Liu, Z., & Zhang, C. (2020). Critical Factors to Achieve Sustainability of Public-Private Partnership
Projects in the Water Sector: A Stakeholder-Oriented Network Perspective. Complexity, 2020, 8895980
- Li, H., Zhang, C.*, Song, S., Demirkesen, S., & Chang, R. (2020). Improving Tolerance Control on Modular
Construction Project with 3D Laser Scanning and BIM: A Case Study of Removable Floodwall
Project. Physical Sciencess, 10(23), 8680.
- Jiang, A., Liu, X., Czarnecki, E., & Zhang, C. (2019). Hourly weather data projection due to climate change for impact assessment
on building and infrastructure. Sustainable Cities And Society, 50.
- Wang, W., & Zhang, C. (2018). Evaluation of relative technological innovation capability: Model and case
study for China’s coal mine. Resources Policy, 58, 144–149.
- Guo, L., Li, H., Li, P., & Zhang, C. (2016). Transaction costs in construction projects under uncertainty. Kybernetes, 45(6), 866–883.
- Kalasapudi, V. S., Tang, P., Zhang, C., Diosdado, J., & Ganapathy, R. (2015). Adaptive 3D Imaging and Tolerance Analysis
of Prefabricated Components for Accelerated Construction. Defining The Future Of Sustainability And Resilience In Design, Engineering and Construction, 118, 1060–1067.
- Zhang, C., & Arditi, D. (2013). Automated progress control using laser scanning technology.
Automation In Construction, 36, 108–116.
- Zhang, C., Arditi, D., & Chen, Z. (2013). Using Terrestrial Laser Scanners To Calculate And
Map Vertical Bridge Clearance. ISPRS 8th 3d Geoinfo Conference & Wg Ii/2 Workshop, 40-2-W2, 133–138.
- Zhang, C., Arditi, D., & Chen, Z. (2013). Documentation And Visualization Of An As-Built Tunnel
By Combining 3d Laser Scanning And Web Mapping. ISPRS 8th 3d Geoinfo Conference & Wg Ii/2 Workshop, 40-2-W2, 139–144.
Selected Conference Publications:
- Sadikoglu, E., Demirkesen, S., & Zhang, C.* (2022). Identifying the Commonalities between Lean Construction and LEED Requirements. Construction Research Congress 2022 : Infrastructure Sustainability and Resilience
- Olen, M., Chen, C.-R., Zhang, C., & Dyer, B. (2020). A Case Study of Reducing the Costs of Deconstructing Blighted
Buildings in the City of Milwaukee. 2020 Associated Schools of Construction (ASC)
Region 3 Conference Proceedings, https://doi.org/10.29007/rh4l
- Li, H., Zhang, C., Song, S., & Demirkesen, S. (2020). A Framework for Automatic Tolerance Analysis
of Removable Flood Wall Anchor Plates With 3D Laser Scanning and BIM. In 6th International
Project and Construction Management Conference, November 12-14, 2020.
- Demirkesen, S., & Zhang, C. (2020). Designing Out Errors: Application of Lean TRIZ Method to Safety Related
Problems in the Construction Industry. In 6th International Project and Construction
Management Conference, November 12-14, 2020.
- Ron, M., Zhang, C., & Dyer, B. (2017). Assessing the feasibility of using UAV in surveying for small
business in Kentucky. In 2017 ASC Region III conference proceedings.
- Li, H., & Zhang, C. (2016). A Comparative Study Between China and USA on The Influencing Path of Transaction
Costs in Construction Projects. In Interaction between Theory and Practice in Civil
Engineering and Construction.
- Wang, W., Kong, Y., & Zhang, C. (2009). Study on System Integration Model Based on Multi-Agent System for Coal Enterprise.
In 2009 International Conference on Management and Service Science.