Skip to Main Content

Apply Now to the University of Wyoming apply now


College of Arts and Sciences

History & Social Studies Education Majors

Through a cooperative agreement with the College of Education, students can now earn concurrent majors or dual degrees in History and Secondary Education in Social Studies.

Students interested in options for teaching History should inquire with the Office of Teacher Education at McWhinnie Hall room 100, or click here to visit the website for the Secondary Education programs at UW for more information about a Social Studies Education undergraduate degree program.

Secondary Education & History

For students interested in teaching history at the secondary level, the College of Education offers two main paths toward certification:

  1. The Bachelor of Arts (B. A.) degree in Social Studies Education (SSSE) with a concurrent major in History. This is an Education degree designed with an integrated major in History.*
  2. The Post-Baccalaureate Program in Social Studies Education.

*Please be aware that the University of Wyoming differentiates between the terms "degree" and "major." Upon completion of the B.A. in SSSE with a concurrent major in History, a student will receive one degree (i.e. one diploma) listing both majors. This is not the same as receiving a degree in History. Since all Secondary Education degrees must include a concurrent major in another subject area, students pursuing the B.A. in SSSE & History cannot receive a separate, stand-alone B.A. in History.  

Students wishing to receive a stand-alone B.A. in History as well as certification to teach at the secondary level can do one of the following:

  1. Consider pursuing a dual degree program that pairs the B.A. in History with a second B.A. in a different area of Secondary Education (such as the concurrent major in Social Studies Education & Political Science). Note that a dual degree program entails requirements in addition to those for each major. Click here to learn about all available degrees in Secondary Education. Consult the University Catalog for specific information (scroll down to the heading "Dual Degrees").
  2. Apply for the Post-Baccalaureate Program in Social Studies Education after completing the B.A. in History. For those who already have a Bachelor's Degree and are interested in becoming certified to teach, the School of Teacher Education offers a Post-Baccalaureate Program that will lead to initial Wyoming teacher certification. The credits earned in the Graduate Certificate Program in either Teaching Elementary School (TES) or Teaching Secondary Content (TSC) can also be applied to a Master's degree in Curriculum and Instruction, if you choose to pursue a graduate degree. Click here for more detailed information on the Post-Baccalaureat Secondary Education program.


Please see the University Catalog for History course titles and descriptions.

Forms to declare a major or minor are available online from the Office of the Registrar. The "Change of Major" form can be used to change your major and/or minor. It is now available to be submitted as a secure online form. Click here to go to the Office of the Registrar's page for Student Petitions and Forms.


Contact Us

History Building

Dept. 3198

1000 E. University Ave.

Laramie, WY 82071

Phone: 307-766-5101


1000 E. University Ave. Laramie, WY 82071
UW Operators (307) 766-1121 | Contact Us | Download Adobe Reader

Accreditation | Virtual Tour | Emergency Preparedness | Employment at UW | Privacy Policy | Harassment & Discrimination | Accessibility Accessibility information icon