M.A. in Education Frequently Asked Questions


Are Letters of Recommendation required?

Letters of recommendation are not required, but we do require contact information for three references.

When is the deadline for applying to the master's degree in C&I?

We screen applications on a monthly basis. Applications received in one month will be reviewed the following month.

Is the GRE required for admission?

We do not require GRE testing for our Master's degree at this time. However if you have taken the GRE within the past five years you may report your score in the online application.

How much teaching experience do I need?

This degree was designed for practicing teachers, so educational experience is preferred. This experience may include teaching in a classroom (any age level), working as an educational administrator, or providing community outreach educational opportunities.

Can I take classes before I'm accepted into the program?

Yes - up to 12 hours can be transferred into a degree program.

Is the program online?

No; however many courses are entirely online or have online components. All coursework is accessible to anyone in the state of Wyoming.

How much is the tuition?

The most current tuition rates can be found at the Scholarships and Financial Aid website.

Do I have to come to Laramie to take classes?

No. All courses are offered through the Outreach school and are available to students throughout the state of Wyoming.

I'm a post-baccalaureate student. Do I need to apply for the master's program?

Yes, Post-baccalaureate students can opt to apply for the master's program in C&I if they wish to. They follow the same admissions procedures as other applicants.

Does this degree lead to certification?

No, the Master's degree in Education is designed for educators who are already certified and who have taught in K-12 classrooms for at least one year. Thus, the degree does not lead to certification. Individuals who are interested in obtaining an initial teaching certification in Wyoming should seek information from the Teacher Preparation and Advising Office.

How do I register for courses?

Once admitted, students can register for courses on WyoWeb.

How do I contact my advisor?

Email or phone your advisor with questions or concerns - advisor contact information can be found on our faculty directory page.

How do I get my program of study completed and filed?

You will be instructed on filing your program of study when you enroll in EDCI 5400 Midpoint Portfolio.  You will take this class when you have completed at least 12 graduate credits.  The program of study form can be found on the Current Student Resources page, and needs to be approved by the committee and submitted to the Office Associate.

How do I put together my committee?

During your first or second semester of coursework, consult with your initial advisor or other faculty you've worked with about faculty members who would be appropriate as committee members.  The assigned initial advisor does NOT need to be a committee member. For master's degree students, two committee members (including the advisor) should be faculty members in Curriculum and Instruction; a third faculty member should come from outside the three departments that make up Curriculum and Instruction. Once three faculty members have agreed to serve as committee members, submit a list of the committee members to the Office Associate who will make a copy for your file and forward to the Registrar's Office.

How long do I have to complete the degree?

All work on a master's degree must be completed within six (6) calendar years from the date of admission.

How many credits is the degree?

A minimum of 32 or 33 semester hours is required. All course work and degree requirements must be approved by the student's graduate committee.

Contact Us

Find us on Instagram (Link opens a new window)Find us on Facebook (Link opens a new window)Find us on Twitter (Link opens a new window)Find us on LinkedIn (Link opens a new window)Find us on YouTube (Link opens a new window)