Skip to Main Content

Apply Now to the University of Wyoming apply now

Professions in Communication Science Disorders

Division of Communication Disorders

With the BS degree you will have the qualified coursework to apply to a speech-language pathology or Audiology graduate program. Each of the disciplines serve populations across the lifespan, across a variety of settings (e.g.  in the home, early intervention, schools, clinics, hospitals, and other medical settings).

For more information on the disciplines of speech-language pathology and audiology, see the resources below.


 Opportunities in Audiology

While going through the bachelor’s in speech, language, and hearing science, you may decide that you're interested in audiology. If you decide to become an audiologist, you will need to go on to a doctoral degree. The University of Wyoming does not offer a doctoral program but there are several quality programs in the western mountain region. For information on Western Regional Graduate Programs in Audiology, visit the College of Health Sciences pre-professional webpage.

In your undergraduate and graduate education, you will study the process of normal hearing and the anatomy, physiology, and neurology of the auditory system. You will study different types of hearing loss and conditions that can cause hearing loss, including genetic features, birth trauma, viral and bacterial infection, injury, exposure to intense noise, and advancing age. You will learn to evaluate hearing sensitivity and speech understanding, and test the hearing skills of infants and young children. You'll use audiometric test results to provide important information to physicians making a medical diagnosis of certain conditions. You will learn to manage programs to help individuals in overcoming hearing loss. These programs include evaluation and recommendation of hearing aids and electronic amplification systems installed in theaters and churches. You may also choose to direct programs for preventing hearing loss due to noise exposure. As an audiologist, you'll work closely with physicians, teachers, hearing aid manufacturers and dispensers, and speech-language pathologists.

Become a Professor and Researcher

If you are interested in being a professor and conducting communication disorders research, you can receive excellent research preparation up to the master's degree level here and then go on to quality Ph.D. programs elsewhere. You will follow an individually-designed course of study in your area of specialization, under the guidance of a professor mentor. You will participate in many research projects, conduct your own independent research, and assist in teaching over the 4-5 years of doctoral study. Typically, students are funded through research, teaching, or clinical supervision duties during their doctoral study. Ph.D.s work mainly in universities, but also in research hospitals, administration, and private practice. Typically, speech-language pathologists work for 1-5 years to gain clinical experience before going on for a Ph.D.

Speech Language Pathology Programs

As an undergraduate student in our Bachelor’s in Speech, Language, and Hearing Science, you will study the normal processes associated with hearing, understanding, and producing speech and language. These include anatomy, physiology, and neurology. You will also study the normal development of speech and language in children. You will gain an introduction to audiology and speech-language disorders and intervention. The BS degree does not qualify students to become speech-language pathology assistants.

If you choose to be a speech-language pathologist, you will need a master's degree. As you progress through the speech language program, you can apply for a position in our accredited master's degree in speech-language pathology, where you will gain clinical knowledge and skills for educational and medical practice. You will learn about speech and language disorders, such as voice disorders, developmental speech sound disorders, stuttering, language impairments, reading disability, and communication and cognitive difficulties associated with neurological disorders such as stroke, head injury, and cerebral palsy. You will learn to diagnose speech and language disorders in children and adults, make recommendations for remediation, and remediate problems when they occur through working directly with the client, supporting family interactions, and consulting with other professionals, such as physicians, teachers, psychologists, physical therapists, occupational therapists, and audiologists. You will have opportunities to collaborate with researchers investigating the cause, nature, assessment, and treatment of communication disorders.  

Contact Us

Division of Communication Disorders

1000 E. University Ave., Dept. 3311

Health Sciences, 265

Laramie, WY 82071

Phone: 307-766-6427

Fax: 307-766-6829


communication disorders UW

1000 E. University Ave. Laramie, WY 82071
UW Operators (307) 766-1121 | Contact Us | Download Adobe Reader

Accreditation | Virtual Tour | Emergency Preparedness | Employment at UW | Privacy Policy | Harassment & Discrimination | Accessibility Accessibility information icon