Economics and Finance In The News
College of Business Investment Management Class Presents to State Loan Investment Board
On April 11th, the Investment Management class presented their investment performance to the State Loan Investment Board in Cheyenne. The class manages approximately $1.25 million dollars in assets from the State of Wyoming and the University of Wyoming foundation. Members of the board are Governor Matt Mead, Secretary of State Max Maxwell, State Treasurer Mark Gordon, State Auditor Cynthia Cloud, and Superintendent of Public Instruction Cindy Hill. Unfortunately, Governor Matt Mead was in the Middle East meeting with energy officials. The class prepared and presented their investment outlook which encompasses the current Global economic conditions and investment opportunities for this year. The students are currently producing a positive alpha over the S & P 500 benchmark. This is quite an accomplishment as approximately 70% of active managers are not able to beat their respective benchmark.
The students pictured from bottom to top are as follows: Kaitlin Mary Inchauspe; Tracy T Mc Ewen; Ivana Milickovic; Olivia Davis; Trista Louise Wood; Patrick Anthony Passow; Colin W Herold; Zachary David Mills; Foerstner G Meyer; James B Williamson; Devon Richard Johnson; Jeremiah B. Decker; Nicholas Joseph Diller; and Derek Ian Sibrel.
- Professor Ed Barbier's work appears in two prestigious journals. Read the article in UW campus news.
- Professor Ed Barbier had a Policy Forum published on Science magazine: The Green Economy Post Rio+20.
- Professors Hilla Skiba and Nicole Choi traveled to Omaha, NE to meet with Warren Buffet, CEO of Berkshire Hathaway. Read the article in UW campus news and the Casper Star-Tribune.
- Economics and Political Science major, Megan Degenfelder, is named UW's Co-Outstanding Graduating Woman. Read the article in UW campus news.
- Professor Jason Shogren was quoted in an article in the Wyoming Business Report on "Consumers show dip in confidence: Consumer Reports Index".
- Professor David Finnoff has been honored with the 2012 Mortor Board's Outstanding Advisor award. The Outstanding Advisor Award is presented to a member of the university community who has performed outstanding academic, career, and personal advising. Students are asked to nominate individuals who skillfully, and consistently, provide academic advice as well as career guidance, and who establish personal relationships with their students.
- Professor Edward Barbier's book assesses progress in achieving sustainable economics. Read the article in UW campus news.
- Professor Edward Barbier has a comment piece in Nature on "Tax 'societal illls' to save the planet".
- Professor Jason Shogren will take part in the Royal Professors' Symposium on Global Sustainability, scheduled March 22 at the Royal Palace in Stockholm, Sweden.
- WSJ.com cites Professor Tim Considine in the article "Oil and Gas Boom Lifts U.S. Economy".
- Can the West save us from foreign oil imports? Read the article "Drilling to Energy Independence".
- Professor Tim Considine presented research at the University of Southern California comparing the economic impacts of renewable portfolio standards, natural gas power generation, and developing oil and gas resources in California.
- Salon.com reports on the "Five Places where the rich, got richer" and quotes UW Professor Jason Shogren.
- Canadian Broadcasting Corporation interviews Professor Tim Considine at the Quebec Oil and Gas Association meeting. The link is in french.
- Guardian from the United Kingdom referenced UW Stroock Professor Jason Shogren and Appalachian State University Professor Todd Cherry's research on "The Social Cost of Coal: A Tale of Market Failure and Market Solution".
- Newsweek's Daily Beast quoted UW Economics Professor Ed Barbier in an article about the economic crisis.
- Richard Van Horne, Assistant Lecturer, addressed the CFA Society of Singapore on the topic of Hedge Funds and Hedging Mutual Funds.
- Forbes.com referenced UW Economics Professor Tim Considine's model of the global oil market.
- Financial Times referenced UW Finance Professor Hilla Skiba's research on "Home Bias".
- Economic Logic Blog spot comments on UW Economics Professors David Aadland and Sherrill Shaffer's research on the perception of time.
- USA Today quoted UW Economics Professor Rob Godby in an article about the state's population growth.
- The Casper Star Tribune published a feature about experiences offered to students in the new UW College of Business trading room.