Skip to Main Content

Apply Now to the University of Wyoming apply now

Drop/Withdraw Policy

What is the difference between "dropping" a class and "withdrawing" from a class?

When to Drop

To drop is to discontinue enrollment in a course or courses prior to the end of the drop/add period at the beginning of a term. A dropped course does not appear on the student’s academic transcript. Dropping from a class does not influence a student’s Satisfactory Academic Progress measurement, but may impact the amount of financial aid a student earns for the semester in question.

When to Withdraw

Withdrawing is to discontinue enrollment in a course or courses after the end of the drop/add period. When withdrawing from one or more, but not all, courses, a student should complete the process on WyoRecords. To withdraw from all courses in a semester, a student should begin the process in the Dean of Students Office. A mark of W will be placed on the student’s academic transcript for each course. Withdrawal from a course or from the university may impact both a student’s current and future receipt of financial aid.  An exception request form is necessary if you missed the drop deadline and wish to petition to drop a class rather than withdraw. 

Why to Drop or Withdraw

Reasons to drop a class may be due to signing up for more credit hours than you think you can do, a change in interest, or schedule conflicts. The last day to add or drop a course is very soon after the semester start, usually only seven business days. The class expense is removed from the student's tuition.

Withdrawing from a class places a "W" on the transcript, but this does not affect the GPA. It is better to withdraw from a class than receive a D or F in the class. Withdrawing from a class can be done up until after midterms. However, the cost of the class is the responsibility of the student. The earlier a student withdraws from a course, the lower the cost of the class. Withdrawing from a class may affect the student's full-time status, which can affect scholarships and financial aid, so it is important to ask a financial aid office professional before withdrawing. 

Contact Us

LeaRN | First Year Experience

Dept. 3334 | First Floor Coe Library

Laramie, WY 82071

Phone: 307-766-2325


1000 E. University Ave. Laramie, WY 82071
UW Operators (307) 766-1121 | Contact Us | Download Adobe Reader

Accreditation | Virtual Tour | Emergency Preparedness | Employment at UW | Privacy Policy | Harassment & Discrimination | Accessibility Accessibility information icon