Skip to Main Navigation. Each navigation link will open a list of sub navigation links.

Skip to Main Content

Apply to the University of Wyoming

Global Resource Navigation

Give to UW
Download UW Viewbook
Visit Campus
NCAR Wyoming Supercomputing Center

Contact Us

Office of Research and Economic Development

Department 3355

1000 E. University Avenue

Laramie, WY 82071

Phone: 307 766 5353


NCAR Wyoming Supercomputing Center

Small Allocations


Start-up allocations. UW graduate students and post-docs and UW faculty working towards creating data, testing algorithms, etc., for a future grant proposal, or need of small allocations to support a funded scientific project in atmospheric, geologic, earth system sciences and related areas are eligible to apply for a start-up allocation. 

Educational allocations. The WNA encourages the use of high-performance computing in undergraduate and graduate courses at UW, and accounts can be provided to individual students in such courses (who agree to and follow usage policies) and the UW professor for assignments involving numerical simulations, modeling, and use of recently developed computational architecture. Faculty needing to use a WNA resource for an undergraduate or graduate course they are teaching should send e-mail to describing the anticipated software needs, storage and computing usage at least two weeks prior to the start of the semester the course is taught. If the anticipated usage is more than 50,000 core-hours for the class, then WNA will want an extended abstract describing how the resource estimate was calculated.  If anticipated usage for the class is more than 200,000 core-hours, then a large allocation request must be submitted for WRAP review.

Startup and (small) educational allocations requests will be reviewed by the WRAP co-chairs upon submission. No panel review is needed for these allocations, and such a request can usually be accommodated within a few business days.

Completion of a startup or educational allocation should be accompanied by a final report describing the allocation outcomes, stated appropriately in terms of the original objectives. The report should be submitted to

Information about small allocation requests. 

Requests for small allocations are made by completing the online small-allocation-request form, and will require the following information:

  • Title of requesting scientist
  • Department
  • A brief summary of the education of the requesting scientist 
  • Area of scientific interest
  • A brief, self-contained proposal describing the project; with larger requests giving details on the numerical experiments to be performed 
  •  Sponsor information (Funded research project associated with the award, PI contact information
  •  Graduate students must arrange for a letter/email from the advisor stating that the work is not supported by any other source. 
  • Resources requested (e.g. core-hours, HPSS, DAV, etc).



Share This Page:

1000 E. University Ave. Laramie, WY 82071
UW Operators (307) 766-1121 | Contact Us | Download Adobe Reader

Twitter Icon Youtube Icon Instagram Icon Vimeo Icon Facebook Icon

Accreditation | Emergency Preparedness | Employment at UW | Gainfull Employment | Privacy Policy | Accessibility Accessibility information icon