Wyoming Women's Foundation – Edelweiss Opportunity Scholarship 2016-2017
The Outreach School is now accepting applications for this scholarship; award to begin during the Fall 2016 semester. Deadline to apply is Tuesday, March 15, 2016. CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE APPLICATION MATERIALS (PDF file).
The Wyoming Women’s Foundation is a charitable organization that supports economic self-sufficiency and access to opportunities for women and girls in Wyoming by raising funds, making grants, and providing leadership. For information visit the Wyoming Women’s Foundation Web site at www.wywf.org
Awards are made to applicants who meet the scholarship program criteria and demonstrate the promise of academic excellence. A rigorous selection process will be conducted to find the students who best meet the following the criteria.
Students applying for consideration for the Wyoming Women’s Foundation – Edelweiss Opportunity Scholarship must meet the following criteria:
- be a part time or full time student;
- be enrolled in a minimum of 6 credit hours as an undergraduate student or 4.5 as a graduate student through the Outreach School (Outreach Credit Programs or UW-Casper);
- be classified as a junior, senior, or graduate student;
- be pursuing a University of Wyoming degree;
- be eligible for federal student financial aid through the University of Wyoming (must have current FAFSA on file with the University of Wyoming Financial Aid Office for 2016-2017);
- be a single parent (with preference given to single mothers);
- have demonstrated promise of academic excellence.
Conditions of Receiving Award
- must maintain a 2.0 overall GPA for all University of Wyoming courses taken during award semester;
- agree to participate in a year-end event to share publicly how receiving the scholarship positively affected family life and academic endeavors;
- agree to send a thank-you letter for the award to the Wyoming Women’s Foundation within 30 days of notification of selection;
- complete any other requirements as specified by the Scholarship Committee.
Application Procedure and Materials
To apply for a Wyoming Women’s Foundation – Edelweiss Opportunity Scholarship, students must:
- Complete a scholarship application;
- Provide a complete copy of their college transcript;
- Compose a two-page, double-spaced essay that addresses:
- how the student meets the Wyoming Women’s Foundation – Edelweiss Opportunity Scholarship Program criteria;
- what the student’s career goals are; and,
- how receiving this scholarship will make a difference in the student’s life and academic endeavors.
- Submit one letter of reference which substantiates the student’s academic potential and dedication to completing a University of Wyoming degree program through the Outreach School:
- Have a current FAFSA Student Aid Report on file with the University of Wyoming Financial Aid Office for 2016-2017.
- Finalists may be required to participate in a personal interview with the selection committee.
- Confer with any federal/state agencies supplying recipient with living allowances to make sure funding such as this does not affect their benefits.
Submit applications, postmarked no later than Tuesday, March 15, 2016 including:
- The application form;
- The transcript;
- The supporting essay;
- One letter of reference;
and have a current (2016-2017) FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) on file with the University of Wyoming Financial Aid Office.
All applicants will receive a letter from the associate vice president for Academic Affairs/dean of the Outreach School detailing the outcome of the selection process.