Skip to Main Content

Apply Now to the University of Wyoming apply now

Frequently Asked Questions

How many credits should I take?

You should take the number of credits you are comfortable taking, while still following the PETE course plan. Be mindful of your other responsibilities, coupled with a sound academic plan. The number of credits you take may vary from semester to semester.

How do I view my Degree Works degree evaluation?

To access your Degree Evaluation, log on to WyoRecords and find the tab for Registration. A link for Degree Evaluation will be listed under the Registration options. This link will direct you to the audit of your requirements within Degree Works.

All of my grades are not visible on my Degree Works. How can I change this?

There is a possibility that all of your grades may not be updated in the system. You can visit the Office of the Registrar and inform them of missing grades.

I am about to graduate soon, what preparations are necessary?

It is important that your degree check sheet has been approved and you have taken the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam. Complete the anticipated graduation date form online from the Registrar's website.

Where can I find the degree check sheet?

This form and most others can be obtained from your advisor through the CEPS Advisiing Center.

When do I hand in my degree check sheet?

Your degree check sheet should be submitted at least 3 semesters before your anticipated graduation date.

How do I complete my degree check sheet?

Students are encouraged to complete their degree check sheet with their advisor. The degree check sheet is an excel document that automatically populates the Credit column when the grade for each course is entered in the Grade column. If a course grade was transferred, indicate this by putting a T in front of the letter grade. For instance TB, which stands for transfer grade B. After filling out the degree check sheet print, sign and hand it in to the department’s Coordinator, Student Advising.

I took a course at a previous institution that I think may be the same as a course here at UW but it is not in the transfer catalog. How can I determine if this course can be transferred?

In a case like this, students are encouraged to get the complete syllabus for the course. If the course is an engineering course, students need to fill out a Petition for Curriculum Adjustment form with their advisor. It will be sent to the department's administrative office for review. If the course is a subject outside of the engineering college, for instance the Chemistry department, students must submit their request and the syllabus to the respective department for an evaluation prior to submitting the Curriculum Adjustment to the Petroleum department.

What happens if my cumulative GPA goes below 2.0?

If your cumulative GPA falls below 2.0, you will be placed on academic probation at the end of the semester. You will be officially notified of this by the Registrar and encouraged to visit with your advisor to develop a plan to help you to improve in the following semester. If your semester GPA falls below a 2.0 while on academic probation, you will be suspended from the university.

How do I get reinstated if I was placed on academic suspension

A student placed on academic suspension can petition for reinstatement after sitting out for one full semester. He/she will need to visit the Office of the Registrar’s page, print the Petition for Academic Reinstatement form and complete it.

How do I go about changing my major?

You will need to visit your advisor and complete the change of major form. After it is signed by the department head, you will need to take your form to your new department for signature also. Once both departments have signed, deliver the form to the Office of the Registrar.

How do I find my advisor?

The name of your advisor can be found in the Student Resources tab in your WyoWeb account. It will be listed in the Academic Profile box.

Is advising restricted to advising week?

Advising is not restricted to advising week only. It is important that you get to know your advisor and feel comfortable checking in with him/her throughout the semester.

How do I prepare for advising week?

It is very important that students are prepared for advising week to maximize the benefits.

  1. Be aware of when advising week will take place.

  2. Know your advisor. Some students may have a different advisor than they did in the previous semester. It is important that each student knows the name of his/her advisor and where to find him/her.

  3. Check your email daily and read carefully any emails sent out by staff and/or advisor regarding advising week.

  4. Ensure that you schedule a specific day and time to meet with your advisor. Each advisor will indicate how and when they would like their advisees to schedule an advising appointment.

  5. Ensure that you collect a Course Request Form from the main office.

  6. Be mindful of the courses you are hoping to take in the upcoming semester and ensure that you have all the necessary prerequisites for each course.

  7. Come prepared with any questions or concerns that you may have. This week is a great opportunity to talk with your advisor about a possible minor, class options, internships, etc.

  8. If you have any questions about advising week, ask!

I have an associate's degree. Will I be exempt from any courses?

Yes. Students with an Associate of Arts degree (AA) or an Associate of Science degree (AS) will be exempt from all USP courses except the US & Wyoming Constitutions course. Students with an Associate of Applied Science (AAS) degree will not be exempt from the P Peac 1001 requirement on the 2003 catalog or the US & Wyoming Constitutions course.

I have a previous bachelor's degree and I am currently a second bachelor's degree seeking student. Will I be able to be exempt from any courses?

Yes. Just like a student who has completed their Associate’s degree, students with a previous bachelor’s degree will be exempt from all USP courses except the US & Wyoming Constitutions course.

Contact Us

Petroleum Engineering

EN 4015

Dept. 3295

1000 E. University Ave.

Laramie, WY 82071


Find us on Facebook (Link opens a new window) Find us on YouTube (Link opens a new window) Find us on LinkedIn (Link opens a new window)

1000 E. University Ave. Laramie, WY 82071
UW Operators (307) 766-1121 | Contact Us | Download Adobe Reader

Accreditation | Virtual Tour | Emergency Preparedness | Employment at UW | Privacy Policy | Harassment & Discrimination | Accessibility Accessibility information icon