Transit and Parking Services
A Unit of Auxiliary Services
About the Service
SafeRide is an on-call public transportation service that operates late nights on the weekends to offer nonjudgmental "safe" rides home. Rides are offered to UW students, faculty, staff, and Laramie community members and visitors. SafeRide's service areas include the Laramie city limits. However, SafeRide will not pick-up/drop-off at specific locations within downtown Laramie. Riders wishing to be picked-up/dropped-off downtown will need to utilize the SafeRide office located at 3rd Street & Garfield. There is no on-board fare for utilizing SafeRide.
In 2013, SafeRide received the Saving Lives Award from from the Wyoming Governor's Council on Impaired Driving and the Outstanding Humanitarian Service to the Community Award from the Laramie Chamber of Commerce Good Morning Laramie program. Read the news release.
Hours of Operation
Academic Year: Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights from 9:00 pm - 2:00 am
Summer: Friday and Saturday nights from 9:00 pm - 2:00 am
Request a Ride
Rrequesting a ride is simple. Call 307-766-7433 (307-766-RIDE) or request your ride through the Transloc Rider App.
Be sure to notify the dispatcher if a rider requires a lift and/or wheelchair tiedowns.
Individuals that are deaf, hard of hearing, or speech impaired may contact SafeRide at (307) 766-7433 through a relay service or by dialing 711. Click here to reach the Wyoming Relay website.
Rider Code of Conduct
Please obey the following rules to ensure the safety of all riders and drivers. The Rider Code of Conduct includes, but is not limited to:
- No Smoking. Vehicles are required to be smoke free. See UW Regulation 2-180 for more details.
- Prohibited Items: Open containers of alcohol, illegal drugs, and dangerous weapons are not allowed within the vehicle parameters because University policy and/or Federal or State law prohibits these items on University property. (See UW Regulations 2-39; 2-178; 21 CFR 1300.01 et. seq.) Similarly, flammable or explosive materials are not allowed on the vehicles.
- Personal Hygiene: Riders shall maintain appropriate and reasonable personal hygiene/body odor.
- Clothing: Appropriate clothing, i.e. shirts, shoes, etc., must be worn at all times.
- Disruptive Behavior: Riders must maintain appropriate social behavior while interacting with drivers, dispatchers, and other riders. Riders may not physically abuse or threaten others. Obscene language or actions will not be tolerated. All body parts must be kept inside the vehicles at all times. No playing of radios, CD players, or other noisy equipment (without headphones) on the vehicles.
- Children: Parents must control children and ensure that they are seated and properly restrained.
- Service Animals: No petting guide dogs or service animals without the permission from the owner.
- Littering: No littering or throwing objects from the vehicles.
- Equipment: No operating or tampering with any vehicle or driver equipment.
- Food: No eating or drinking on the vehicles (unless required for health reasons). Pre-approval is required from the UW Transit & Parking Services office for food and drink on the vehicles.
- Departing the Bus: Riders must depart vehicles upon demand of a driver or any other UW Transit & Parking Services representative. When departing the bus, be sure to take all of your belongings. UW is not responsible for lost, stolen, or damaged items.
UW Transit & Parking Services appreciates the cooperation of all riders, so that we may provide a safe, clean, and enjoyable trip for all.
Failure to comply with the Rider Code of Conduct may result in denial of rides, referral to the Dean of Student’s office, and/or a report to the University of Wyoming Police Department, depending on the circumstances.
SideKicks are the ride-along volunteers that help keep SafeRide operating. Sidekicks help keep SafeRide "safe" by relieving the driver of distractions. There's just too much going on for one driver to be able to safely operate the van alone. Recognized Student Organizations (RSOs) may volunteer to act as Sidekicks.
SideKick responsibilities include:
- Tracking passenger numbers which are totaled each night and act as the official numbers for our passenger count
- Assist the driver in navigating the streets of Laramie
- Record pickup and drop off locations
- Help keep passengers safe and help enforce the policies of SafeRide (under the direction of the driver)
- Talk with the passengers and ensure everyone enjoys the SafeRide program
SideKicks attend a mandatory training at 8:30 pm, and for the next several hours they help transport 50-100 passengers safely around town. The dispatcher stops taking calls at 2:00 am signaling the final stretch of the night. SafeRide continues to provide rides to passengers waiting at the SafeRide office (3rd & Garfield) until everyone who wants a ride gets home safely. Sidekicks are generally dropped back off at their homes at around 3:00 am.
Incentive Money - IMPROVED RATES!
Through the SafeRide RSO Sidekick Incentive Program, University of Wyoming official RSOs have the opportunity to earn incentive money. Individual Sidekicks must successfully complete their volunteer work for the night to receive the incentive money. There is no minimum amount of Sidekicks that an RSO must provide to participate. There is also no limit to the amount of incentive money that an RSO can earn by participating in the SafeRide RSO Sidekick Incentive Program so sign-up today!
- $17.50 / per Sidekick
- 20% Bonus if the RSO successfully completes the night with the number of Sidekicks that were originally registered
Example: An RSO that registers 7 Sidekicks and successfully completes the night with all 7 can receive a total of $147.00 in incentive money for the night; $122.50 Sidekick + $24.50 bonus = $147.00.
RSO Volunteer Agreement
Individual Volunteer Liability Waiver
Volunteer Expectations (coming soon)
Sign Up to be a Sidekick
Adopt-a-Night has started taking reservations for the Spring 2017 semester! Reserve your spot now!
SafeRide uses several volunteers each weekend and are almost always looking for more help. Use the calendar below to determine availability.
Open the calendar in a separate window.