Skip to Main Content

Apply Now to the University of Wyoming apply now
UW logo with Global Engagement Office Education Abroad with pictures of student travels. State Here... Go Anywhere #UWYOabroad

Accounting for Faculty-Led Programs

Faculty & Advisors

Accounting for Faculty-Led Programs

Payments Prior to Travel

All payments made to vendors abroad prior to travel must come through the Education Abroad Office.  No personal or departmental p-cards may be used to make pre-payments, and Procurement Services will not open these cards for international use.  Please contact accountant Frankie Vogt ( or Sara Robinson ( for assistance.

  • Reservations Under $9,999
    Reservations for charges under $9,999 can be made with with a university card, where accepted by a vendor.  Higher amounts can be paid with a card only for accommodations and transportation (air and ground).

  • Reservations of $10,000 or higher
    All reservations or charges of $10,000 or higher (except for accommodations and transportation) require a contract.  Please allow at least three weeks for the creation and processing of contracts.

Funds for Use During Travel

Cash Advance

  • If you have in-country expenses that you will need to pay while abroad, you will need to apply for a cash advance.
    • The process for Cash Advance requests is outlined in the WyoCloud Knowledge Base.
    • Requests for cash advances cannot be delegated. Faculty are responsible for requesting the advance and submitting receipts to the Education Abroad Office upon completion of travel.
    • No account number is needed to apply for an advance.
  • Cash advances should be requested 10 business days prior to travel.
  • Please consult with Sara Robinson ( or Frankie Vogt ( to confirm the amount available in your program account which can be taken as an advance.
  • All cash expenditures must be accounted for with receipts.
    • It is recommended that you carry a small receipt book with you, for use in case a receipt is unavailable. The receipt must include the following:
      • Date of expense
      • Expense amount (in currency used)
      • Purpose of expense
      • Signature of vendor
    • Receipts will be submitted to Education Abroad for reconciliation.
    • Maintaining a daily spending journal for cash expenditures is recommended.
    • If students are given a cash per diem, they must sign a dated receipt for the amount received. One receipt signed by all students is acceptable.

In-Country Card Expenditures

  • If you will be using a p-card while abroad, contact Procurement Services to have the card opened for the country or countries in which you will be traveling.
    • All receipts for p-card purchases must be retained. We recommend that you also photograph the receipts, so that you have a digital copy, if needed.
      • P-card receipts can be uploaded to WyoCloud from abroad (recommended).
      • Reconciliation can be done by the Global Engagement Office accountant, Francis (Frankie) Vogt ( right away. Please just let him know when receipts are uploaded.
    • Please ensure that Frankie is set up as a Delegate for your account on WyoCloud.
  • Absolutely no alcohol can be purchased using student or UW funds during a study abroad class. Any alcohol purchased must be paid for at the point of sale, using personal funds. P-cards cannot be used to purchase alcohol.
  • No university or program funds can be used to pay for medical supplies, medications, medical care, insect repellent, sunscreen, alcohol or other “personal” expenses for faculty or students. Any money spent on these items will not be reimbursed.

Upon Return

  • Submit all original receipts (not scans), separated by category, to Frankie Vogt in the Global Engagement Office within 10 business days of return; please do not send receipts in campus mail unless you keep scans for your records.
    • Receipts need to be separated into the following categories, (differentiating between student and faculty expenses for the first three):
      • Accommodations
      • Transportation
      • Meals
      • Entry Fees/Tours
      • Teaching Supplies
      • Tips or honorariums
  • Receipts need to be taped to an Oanda Currency Converter page for the date of the expense and for the full allowable amount listed on the receipt.
    • Non-English receipts will need to be accompanied by a signed Receipt Substitution form.
    • One form can be provided for each category of receipts (accommodations, travel, etc.)
  • Once the expenditures are reconciled, Frankie will contact you with:
    • Instructions on how to return unspent cash from an advance
    • Instructions on how to approve the expense report


1000 E. University Ave. Laramie, WY 82071
UW Operators (307) 766-1121 | Contact Us | Download Adobe Reader

Accreditation | Virtual Tour | Emergency Preparedness | Employment at UW | Privacy Policy | Harassment & Discrimination | Accessibility Accessibility information icon