Skip to Main Content

Apply Now to the University of Wyoming apply now

Health and Insurance

Education Abroad


Important Resources for Students Going Abroad

Please Refer to the UW Education Abroad Handbook for Information About:

  • Alcohol and Drug Use

  • Disabilities

  • Gender

  • Race/Ethnicity

  • Religion

  • Sexual Orientation

Please read the Handbook thoroughly before leaving for your country of study. 



UW requires all students going abroad on UW sanctioned programs to have student travel insurance, or to show proof of insurance through one of the authorized program providers.  This insurance coverage is mandatory and will not be waived.

The Affordable Care Act requires all U.S. citizens to have health insurance coverage unless they will reside outside of the United States for more than 330 days.  It is recommended that you determine if you need to continue your U.S. health insurance, in addition to travel insurance, while you are abroad.

Students traveling on a UW study abroad program will automatically be enrolled in student travel insurance.  The cost for the insurance will be billed directly to the student’s WyoWeb account.

The cost of insurance is as follows:

Program Length Price
Short-term programs of 2 weeks or less $25.00
Short-term programs of more than 2 weeks $50.00/month
One Semester $150.00
One Academic Year $300.00






For Travel or Claims Occurring Prior to July 1, 2019

Provider: AIG
Group Name:  University of Wyoming
Policy #: GLB 0009139873
Toll-free number from the U.S.: (877)832-3523
International Collect Call: +001 (715)295-9817

In case of an emergency medical condition, contact emergency care providers in that country immediately.  If non-emergency medical assistance is needed, you can either get a local referral or call AIG collect at +1 (817)295-9817.  You must call AIG to open a file for the claim.  AIG can provide assistance in finding a provider, obtaining translation services for medical care, and providing financial assistance to obtain treatment.



For Travel or Claims Occurring AFTER July 1, 2019

Print Chubb Foreign Travel Insurance Card and Information

Provider: Chubb
Plan Number: 01AH585
Policy Number: ADD N10846997
Toll-free number from the U.S. or Canada: (800)243-6124
International Collect Call:  +001 (202)659-7803

In the event of a medical emergency, Europ Assistance will provide medical assistance (including referral to a doctor or specialist, medical monitoring during hospitalization and emergency medical evacuation), personal assistance (including pre-travel medical referral information) and security assistance (including a crisis hotline and on-the-ground security assistance to help address safety concerns). 


In all cases, payment should be made to the care provider at the time of service, with reimbursement requested upon return.  In order to request reimbursement, you must submit a claim form, receipts for all payments, including prescription medications, and a full medical report (including diagnosis, treatment recommendations, care provided, and how the injury was sustained - if applicable.) 

Upon return, the student's personal medical insurance will be responsible for further and follow-up care.

Questions regarding student travel insurance can be directed to the Office of Risk Management, (307)766-5767 or

Faculty, Staff and Registered Graduate Students

International Travel Insurance is available to registered graduate students, faculty, and staff while participating in short-term educational trips sponsored by the University of Wyoming that are traveling internationally. It is required to complete the International Travel Registration form prior to travel.


1000 E. University Ave. Laramie, WY 82071
UW Operators (307) 766-1121 | Contact Us | Download Adobe Reader

Accreditation | Virtual Tour | Emergency Preparedness | Employment at UW | Privacy Policy | Harassment & Discrimination | Accessibility Accessibility information icon