|You are required to complete this checklist prior to submitting a Petition for Academic Reinstatement to Advising, Career, and
Exploratory Studies. A link to the petition form for reinstatement is located at the
bottom of this page.
|In accordance with UW Regulation 2-109, you are required to sit out for one full semester, exclusive of the summer term
before you can petition for reinstatement. If you feel that extenuating circumstances
contributed to or caused your suspension, and you can provide documentation of those
circumstances, you may petition for immediate reinstatement.
Important: To be considered for immediate reinstatement, you must email scanned copies
of your documentation for extenuating circumstances to firstname.lastname@example.org before your appointment with an advisor.
|After you complete the checklist and submit your Petition for Academic Reinstatement,
you will be contacted to set up an appointment with an advisor. The advisor will approve
or deny your petition based on the information provided in the petition and during
- Be prepared with well thought-out academic goals, both short and long-term
- Develop a plan for achieving academic goals
- Be able to highlight your strengths as a student, potential obstacles you could face
if reinstated, and ways to overcome obstacles
- Be familiar with campus resources that you can utilize in support of your goals and
find academic resources
- Prepare a tentative list of manageable courses to take if your petition is approved
|Repeat Policy: If a student takes a course more than once, the most recent grade is
the one that is counted in the GPA (even if it is lower....ex: D, then F; F is the
grade that is counted in the GPA). A student is limited to a maximum of 3 attempts
to pass a course. Withdrawals DO count as an attempt.
|If your petition is approved, you will be required to adhere to the terms of a Reinstatement
Contract your first semester back. Your contract could include the following terms:
- You will be required to check in with your advisor every TWO WEEKS throughout the
- You will retake classes you did poorly in at UW previously, if appropriate
- You will attend class regularly
- You will access available campus resources, if needed
- You will maintain a 2.0 GPA or higher