UW Engineering Shop
Please review the following policies for the UW Engineering Shop.
- We do not loan tools to non-UW users.
- We occasionally loan tools for short-term lab use.
- We charge an hourly rate for labor ($60 per) and machine time (between $60-80 per)
in the following areas:
- We do not teach students how to weld (MIG or TIG). These processes are time consuming
to learn and are more cost-effective to be completed by the Shop Staff, as needed.
Students who have successfully completed a collegiate/SkillsUSA welding certificate
program may be exempt.
- We offer free 30 minute consultations with each new project.
- To discuss your project in-person at no cost, please bring the following information:
- Project name/course number
- Laboratory room number
- Principal investigator, instructor, or advisor
- First and last name of person requesting the work
- Phone and email contact for requestor
- Part material and quantity
- Well-annotated drawing
- Walk-in hours are 1-3 p.m. Monday-Friday and by appointment.
- Raw materials can be purchased from the shop or provided by the customer.
- During senior design, enrolled students may use the shop after completing mandatory
- Read Student Handbook & complete Shop Safety Assessment.
- Each Senior Design project qualifies for 15hrs of free shop staff labor
- Materials available for purchase at then-current market prices, subject to University
- CEPS Shop Billing Policy
- Other students must obtain permission from the shop manager before using shop facilities
for university projects only.
- Projects are prioritized generally on a first-in-first-out (FIFO) basis. If needed,
the queue may be re-ordered with the following priority list: Academics, then funded
research, then unfunded research, then external.