Jerry C. Hamann
Jerry C. Hamann
- B.S. Electrical Engineering, Bioengineering Option, University of Wyoming, 1984
- M.S. Electrical Engineering, University of Wyoming, 1988
- Ph.D. Electrical Engineering, University of Wisconsin, 1993
Areas of Expertise:
Automatic Control, Instrumentation Systems, Signal Processing, Science/Technology
Current research activities are focused in the following areas:
- enhancement of undergraduate engineering education,
- electronics for nonthermal plasma applications in chemical processing,
- applications of remote in-situ instrumentation (e.g. avalanche infrasonics)
- electronic relative-locating systems for cooperative robotic swarms,
- applied signal processing,
- analysis and modeling of storage area networks,
- precision pointing and vibration isolation with Stewart-Gough platforms.
- "The Effect of Cooperative Education, Contextual Support and Self-Efficacy on the
Retention of Undergraduate Engineering Students," ASEE Annual Conference Proceedings, Atlanta, GA, June, 2013, (with R. Reisberg, J. A. Raelin, M. B. Bailey, D. L. Whitman
and L. K. Pendleton).
- "The Effect of Cooperative Education on the Self-Efficacy of Students in Undergraduate
Engineering," ASEE Annual Conference Proceedings, San Antonio, TX, June, 2012, (with R. Reisberg, J. A. Raelin, M. B. Bailey, D. L.
Whitman and L. K. Pendleton).
- "The Effect of Cooperative Education on Change in Self-Efficacy Among Undergraduate
Students: Introducing Work Self-Efficacy," Journal of Cooperative Education and Internships, Vol. 45, No. 2, pp. 17-35, 2011, (with J.A. Raelin, J. D. Raelin, M. B. Bailey,
R. Reisberg, J. C. Hamann and D. Whitman).
- "Trilateration Localization for Multi-Robot Teams," Fifth International Conference on the Informatics in Control, Automation and Robotics,
Special Session on Multi-Agent Robotic Systems, ICINCO 2008, May 11-15, 2008, Madeira, Portugal, (with P. M. Maxim, S. Dettiarachchi,
W. Spears, D. Spears, T. Kunkel and C. Speiser).
- "A Physicomimetics Control Framework for Swarms of Autonomous surface Vehicles," Oceans MTS/IEEE, Oceans 2008, September 15-18, 2008, Quebec City, (with D. Zharzhitsky, D. Spears,
C. Frey, C. Karlsson, W. Spears, B. Ramos and E. Widder).
- "Single and Multiple Sensor Identification of Avalanche-Generated Infrasound," CRST Journal, Vol. 47, Issues 1-2, pp. 159-170, (with E.D. Scott, C.T. Hayward, R.F. Kubichek,
J.W. Pierre, B. Comey and T. Mendenhall), 2007.
- "Production of Hydrogen and Sulfur from Hydrogen Sulfide in a Nonthermal-Plasma Pulsed
Corona Discharge Reactor," Chemical Engineering Science, Vol. 62, No. 8, pp. 216-227, 2007, (with G.-B. Zhao, S. John, J.-J. Zhang, S. Muknahallipatna,
S. Legowski, J.F. Ackerman and M.D. Argyle), 2007.
- "Practical Implementation of Avalanche Infrasound Monitoring Technology for Operational
Utilization Near Teton Pass Wyoming," 2006 International Snow Science Workshop (ISSW), Telluride, 2006, (with E.D. Scott, C.T. Hayward, T.J. Colgan, R.F. Kubichek, J.W.
Pierre and J. Yount).
- "Where Are You?" in Proceedings of the Ninth International Conference on the Simulation of Adaptive Behavior, (SAB 2006),Roma, Italy, LNA Vol. 4095, pp. 129-143, (with W.M. Spears, P.M. Maxim,
T.Kunkel, R.Heil, D.Zarzhitsky, D.F. Spears and C. Karlsson).
- "Thinking and Doing Math and Science with Engineering: A Partnership," ASEE Annual Conference Proceedings, Chicago, 2006, (with L. Hutchison and A. Moore).
- "Methane Conversion in Pulsed Corona Discharge Reactors," Chemical Engineering Journal, Vol. 125, Issue 2, pp. 67-69, 2006, (with G.-B. Zhao, S. John, J.-J. Zhang, L. Wang,
S. Muknahallipatna, J.F. Ackerman, M. D. Argyle and O. A. Plumb).
- "Analysis and Design of Motion Control Systems with Positive Force/Torque Feedback
using Robust Control Methods," IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology, Vol. 13, No. 56, pp. 752--759, 2005, (with H. Lin and J. McInroy).
- "Results of Recent Infrasound Avalanche Monitoring Studies," 2004 International Snow Science Workshop (ISSW), (Jackson Hole, Wyoming), September 21, 2004, (with E.D. Scott, C.T. Hayward, R.F.
Kubichek and J.W. Pierre).
- "Distributed, Physics-Based Control of Swarms of Vehicles," Autonomous Robots, Volume 17(2-3), August, 2004, (with W. Spears, D. Spears, and R. Heil).
- "The Effect of End to End Latency in a Distributed Storage Area Network on Microsoft
Exchange Server 2003 Performance -- Part I," IEEE 29th Annual Conference on Local Computer Networks (LCN), (Tampa, FL), November, 2004, (with S. Muknahallipatna, T. Brothers, N. Mandagere,
and P. Patil).
- "NTLM and Kerberos Performance in Windows 2000 Domains," International Conference on Computing, Communications and Control Technologies (CCCT), (Austin, TX), August, 2004, (with M. Stauffer and S. Muknahallipatna).
- "Transformation and Destruction of Nitrogen Oxides - NO, NO2, and N2O in a Pulsed
Corona Discharge Reactor," Fuel, Vol. 82, pp. 1675--1684, 2003, (with X. Hu, J. Zhang, S. Muknahallipatna, M. Biggs,
and P. Agarwal).
- "Interactive Fourier Concepts: Computing Tools for Building Intuition," Frontiers in Education Conference, (Boulder, CO), November, 2003, (with R. Kubichek and J. Pierre,).
- "Monitoring Tool for Performance Measurements of Windows NT Based LANs," International Journal of Computers and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 3, pp. 136--143, 2002 (with S. Muknahallipatna and A. Kadkol).
- "Fourier Waveform Analysis," Electronic Systems Maintenance Handbook, J. Whitaker, Ed., Second Edition, CRC Press, 2001, (with J.W. Pierre).
- "Computer Exercises to Incorporate Energy Concepts into the Electrical Engineering
Curriculum," Computers in Education Journal, Vol. 11, No. 2, April/June, 2001 (with R.G. Jacquot, J.W. Pierre and B.H. Chowdhury).
- "Design and Control of Flexure Jointed Hexapods," IEEE Transactions on Robotics and Automation, Vol. 16, No. 4, pp. 372-381, August, 2000 (with J.E. McInroy).
- "Generalized Gain Plots for Proportional Digital Control for Second-Order All-Pole
Plants," IEEE Control Systems Magazine, Vol. 20, No. 3, pp. 80-84, June, 2000, (with R.G. Jacquot).
- "Enhancing the Comprehension of Signal Processing Principles using Audio Exercises
with MATLAB," Computers in Education Journal, Vol. 10, No. 2, April/June, 2000 (with J.W. Pierre and R.F. Kubichek).
- "A Source Tracking Sensor Array Testbed," Microprocessors and Microsystems , Vol. 23, pp. 207-206, 1999, (with E.D. Scott and J.W. Pierre).
Honors and Awards:
- UW "Pie" Award (Promoting Intellectual Engagement) Spring 2010, Spring 2012,
- Ellbogen Center for Teaching and Learning Senior Scholar, Spring 2005.
- ASEE Rocky Mountain Division Outstanding Teacher, Spring 2005.
- University of Wyoming Mortar Board "Top Prof", Fall 2005, Fall 2004.
- Tau Beta Pi Outstanding Undergraduate Classroom Teaching Award, University of Wyoming, Spring 2012, Spring 2002, Spring 1995.
- IEEE Student Chapter Outstanding Faculty Award, Spring 1999.
- ASEE DOW Outstanding New Faculty Member, Spring 1998.
- John Curtis Lecture Award, Computers in Education Division of ASEE, Annual Conference 1996.
- University of Wyoming Excellence in Advising Award, Spring 1996.
- US West Excellence in Education Award, University of Wyoming, Fall 1995.
- John P. Ellbogen Meritorious Classroom Teaching Award, University of Wyoming, Spring 1994.
- ASEE Annual Conference Best Paper Award, American Society for Engineering Education, 2012 Annual Conference
- ASEE Women in Engineering Division Denise D. Denton Best Paper Award, American Society for Engineering Education, 2010 Annual Conference