Skip to Main Content

Apply Now to the University of Wyoming apply now

Reinstatement with USCIS

There are many reasons that a student may become out of status with USCIS.  Once a student is out of status with USCIS, they must leave the US immediately, choose to remain out of status, or apply for reinstatement with USCIS. 

How to reinstate your status:


1. Apply for reinstatement through USCIS

You can submit a reinstatement request to United States Citizen and Immigration Services (USCIS). During this process you must enroll in school full-time and cannot work (even on-campus) until your request is approved. ISS staff will help a student apply for reinstatement by reviewing their documents and submitting the reinstatement petition to USCIS.

Reinstatement Information and Checklist

Form I-539 

Instructions for Form I-539

I-134 Affidavit of Support for Funding Coming from a U.S. Citizen or P.R.

*Contact ISS for more information or to make an appointment to submit your petition.


2. Travel Outside the U.S. and enter with new I-20

You can reactivate your status by obtaining a new initial I-20 and travel outside the United States and return. Must have a valid F-1/J-1 visa and new I-20.

This option will require a new SEVIS record. You will pay a new I-901 SEVIS Fee ($200), and you cannot apply for CPT, OPT, or Economic Hardship until you complete two full semesters after returning to UW.

Traveling has many risks. Please schedule an appointment with ISS to discuss if this option before traveling.

Contact Us

University of Wyoming International Students and Scholars

Department 3228

1000 E. University Avenue

Laramie, WY 82071

Phone: 307-766-5193


Find us on Facebook (Link opens a new window)

1000 E. University Ave. Laramie, WY 82071
UW Operators (307) 766-1121 | Contact Us | Download Adobe Reader

Accreditation | Virtual Tour | Emergency Preparedness | Employment at UW | Privacy Policy | Harassment & Discrimination | Accessibility Accessibility information icon