Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE) Award
NON-RESIDENT | FIRST-YEAR STUDENTS
This information is for the Fall 2024/Spring 2025 academic year. Unless otherwise
noted, awards listed are for the academic year and not by semester.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Details on WUE for Fall 2023/Spring 2024 can be found here.
The University of Wyoming will recognize first-time entering non-resident students
seeking their first bachelor's degree, who meet the minimum requirements below, as
recipients of the Western Underground Exchange (WUE) award. Awards are made to students
based upon their cumulative unweighted high school GPA and test scores (ACT or SAT).
This award will pay tuition at 150% of the resident tuition, which is approximately
$13,815 less than the standard non-resident tuition for students taking 12-18 credit
hours per semester, based upon the block tuition model.
The WUE award cannot be combined with the Brown and Gold Commitment or any institutional scholarship aid, including those made possible by the University
of Wyoming Foundation.
Please note: All University of Wyoming financial awards are only available to eligible admits.
The awards are subject to available funding and the approval of the UW Board of Trustees;
they reserve the right to change said rates at any time.
STUDENTS WHO ARE AWARDED THE WUE AWARD WILL PAY:
WHAT ARE THE MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS?
The minimum SAT test score is 1260 or above.
ACT superscores will not be considered.
If the minimum GPA and ACT/SAT test score requirements are not met, UW will review
and determine eligibility for the Brown and Gold Commitment, which includes a test-optional grid.
WUE Eligible LOCATIONS
- States: Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New
Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington
- U.S. Pacific Islands: Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, Federated States
of Micronesia, Guam, Republic of the Marshall Islands, Republic of Palau
- Apply for admission and submit the non-refundable $40 admission application fee.
- Submit official high school transcripts.
- Students selected to receive the WUE award must confirm their enrollment at UW:
- May 1, 11:59 p.m. MDT - for students beginning in the fall semester.
- January 5, 11:59 p.m. MDT - for students beginning in the spring semester.
The Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid will consider the final cumulative unweighted
high school GPA for new first-time students for a potential increase in award level.
To be considered, official transcripts and/or ACT/SAT scores must be received no later
than the first day of class of your incoming semester. This applies to students who
have confirmed enrollment by the above deadlines. Increases are subject to available
The WUE award is renewable for up to 8 semesters (4 academic years), or completion
of first bachelor's degree, whichever comes first.
- Students must maintain a 3.0 cumulative UW GPA (evaluated at the end of each spring
- Students must maintain full-time continuous enrollment (a minimum of 12 semester hours)
during the fall and spring semesters, with successful completion of a minimum of 24
credit hours each academic year.
- Study abroad students must be enrolled in a 4001 level study abroad course, with tuition
billed by UW for their commitment or scholarship to pay. If you enroll in a non-exchange
program, you will waive that semester of commitment or scholarship eligibility.
- Eligibility for the WUE award will be reviewed at the end of every spring semester;
therefore, enrollment during summer session(s) following the spring review is not
- If the WUE award is lost for not maintaining minimum requirements, it cannot be reinstated
even if the requirements are met at a later date.
- Details regarding the requirements to receive and renew the WUE award are included
in the award Terms & Conditions that are mailed to students for their first year.