Skip to Main Content

Apply Now to the University of Wyoming apply now
A student biker in Prexy's Pasture

Sources of Federal Aid

Upon receipt of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) data from the federal processor for an applicant, that person's information is included in a computerized need analysis and financial aid allocation process called "packaging." This process looks at the applicant's need, the applicant's qualifications (class level, residency status, etc.) and the remaining funding available for each program. The process then develops a "package" of financial aid containing a possible mixture of scholarships, grants, work-study allotment, and student loans, which the student can view/accept on WyoWeb, under the Financial Aid Tab, Award for Aid Year.


Federal Subsidized/Unsubsidized Direct

Federal Graduate PLUS Direct

Federal Parent PLUS Direct


Federal Pell Grants

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (SEOG)

TEACH Grants (education majors only)


Federal Work-Study is a need-based program that provides employment opportunities to eligible students to help meet the costs of their college education. Awarded to individuals with significant financial need, as reflected by the FAFSA data, whose need has not been met with grants and scholarships. Limited funds exist, so awards generally are restricted to applicants who complete the FAFSA by January 15 of any given year.

If you are offered Federal Work-Study, you will be able to accept your award on WyoWeb, under the Financial Aid Tab, Award for Aid Year, Accept Award Offer. You will then need to review and apply for Federal Work-Study positions through the Human Resources website.

Your pay rate will be based on an hourly wage determined by the department you are working for, but it will not be less than the federal minimum wage. Part time employees are paid every two weeks, and a schedule of these pay periods can be found on the Payroll website. Students will be required to enter their own time in the HCM System, and supervisors will be required to approve all your time entered into HCM before you receive any of that pay. Paychecks are either direct deposited into your bank account or mailed to the address you have on file with payroll. You will find a copy of the Direct Deposit form on the Payroll website if you wish to enroll.

If you are not awarded Federal Work-Study, but still wish to work on campus, check with Human Resources about non work-study job opportunities.

Contact Us

Scholarships & Financial Aid

1000 E. University Ave. Dept. 3335

Knight Hall, Room 174

Laramie, WY 82071-3335

Phone: (307) 766-2116

Fax: (307) 766-3800

Contact Us

1000 E. University Ave. Laramie, WY 82071
UW Operators (307) 766-1121 | Contact Us | Download Adobe Reader

Accreditation | Virtual Tour | Emergency Preparedness | Employment at UW | Privacy Policy | Harassment & Discrimination | Accessibility Accessibility information icon