Free Firearms Storage
Firearms are not allowed in University of Wyoming housing.
The UW Police Department provides free weapon storage for all UW students living in UW housing (i.e. Fraternities, Sororities, Residence Halls, Bison Run Village, Landmark Village, River Village, and Spanish Walk Apartments). Due to limited storage space, we will not store cases or ammunition and students are limited to a total of 3 weapons plus a bow.
Storable weapons include:
- Compact bows
- Cross bows
We are unable to store knives, mace canisters, or any other weapons as well as any ammunition or magazine cartridges. All weapons must be unloaded when checked in at the UWPD.
Check In/Out Information
- Only students who live on campus may store weapons at the University Police facility.
- Storing weapons at the Police facility is a privilege, not a right. Any misuse of the service or improper treatment of staff may result in the loss of privilege.
- There is a maximum of 3 firearms total that may be stored (that includes rifles/shotguns/pistols), a student may have 3 guns and 2 bows.
- Actions must be OPEN and clear of ammunition prior to entering the University of Wyoming Police facility.
- Students will be provided a barrel flag when checking in weapons to ensure weapons are free of ammunition (lever action shotguns, double barrel shotguns, .17 and .22 caliber weapons will be issued a trigger lock).
- For all check in/check out transactions, students must provide their student ID and UWPD issued Weapon Card.
- Students are able to check in/check out weapons 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
For the complete student weapon policy, please click here.