UW logo with Global Engagement Office Education Abroad with pictures of student travels. State Here... Go Anywhere #UWYOabroad

Incoming Exchange and Study Abroad Students

Incoming Students

The University of Wyoming welcomes students at the undergraduate and graduate level from partnered institutions abroad to study at UW for a semester, academic, or calendar year. Students participating in the program become fully integrated into life at UW and have the opportunity to access a variety of resources.

This page will address some important dates, frequently asked questions (FAQs) about the study abroad process at UW, and guide you through the application to become an international exchange student. Incoming international students should use their online handbook in conjunction with this page to assist the process*. 

*If you are beginning the process, you will start with the Application Process first.  Once you have been accepted and admitted to the University of Wyoming, you will begin with the Preparation and Arrival steps. 


Begin Your Journey Here

Find in this section:

Important dates over calendar Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) over question mark sign Application over laptop and pen Pre-departure steps 

Important Dates

Important Dates

Spring Semester 2024

Application Deadline: October 15
Registration Begins: Early December
Arrival in Laramie: January 10-11
Mandatory Orientation: January 12
Classes Begin: January 16
Examination Period Ends: May 10
Move-Out Date for Residence Halls: May 10

Fall Semester 2024

Application Deadline: March 15
Registration Begins: Early May
Arrival in Laramie: August 20-23
Mandatory Orientation: August 22nd
Classes Begin: August 26th 
Examination Period Ends: December 13
Move-Out Date for Residence Halls: December 13

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

What are the entry requirements?

The University of Wyoming has specific entry requirements regarding English Language Proficiency and Grade Point Average (GPA).

English Language Proficiency Requirements:

To assess your proficiency in English, the University of Wyoming accepts the following test scores:

  • TOEFL Internet-based minimum requirement is 71 for most majors
  • TOEFL Internet-based minimum requirement for Engineering is 80
  • IELTS minimum requirement is 6 for most majors and 6.5 for Engineering
  • CET minimum requirement is 4 for undergraduates and 6 for graduates (Chinese speakers only)

Proof of your English proficiency must be included with your application materials. Test results issued directly to students are not considered official and will not be accepted.  Only Official Score Reports can be accepted. 

Grade Point Average (GPA) Requirements: 

Students applying to an Exchange or Partner Agreement program must have the equivalent of a 2.75 GPA or above. However, in some circumstances, specific UW programs require a 3.0 GPA for admission.

What are the costs? 

Exchange Students: If you are coming to UW as an Exchange student, you will not be required to pay tuition or most fees. Exchange students are required to pay:

  • Application Fee ($50)
  • International Student Fee ($75)
  • Student Health Insurance* (price varies per semester)
  • Housing
  • Meals

If you are aware that you are an exchange student through ISEP then you will pay ISEP for Housing and Meals.

Study Abroad Students: If you are coming to UW as a Study Abroad student, you will pay 150% of resident tuition and fees, in addition, you are required to pay:

* Please see the online handbook for guidance regarding student health insurance and the waiver process, if eligible.

Important:  When you register for classes, tuition and fees will automatically be charged to your student account.  If you are an exchange student, these fees will be removed after the university’s registration drop/add period.  This is not generally complete until the end of September for the fall semester, or late February for the spring semester.  If you are an exchange student, do not be concerned if you see tuition and fee charges on your account; they will be removed eventually.

Payment for charges can be made online via WyoWeb with a Visa or MasterCard, or with cash at the Cashier’s Office on campus in Knight Hall (the Cashier’s Office does not accept credit cards).  It is not necessary for you to pay before you come to UW.  Payment can be made when you arrive.  If you pay at least 1/3 of your student bill when you arrive, you will be enrolled in a payment plan.  You can then pay the balance due over the next two months (for a total of 3 payments). There is a $15 charge to be enrolled in this payment plan.

To see your charges, log in to WyoWeb. Go to Your Student Account, and Account Summary by Term.  Your charges will be listed there.  Payment can be made by bank transfer, free of charge, on Flywire.

Books: One of the most surprising things for international students coming to the U.S. is the cost of textbooks. This cost can be quite high for some students ($200-$600), so it is important that you are prepared. The University Store has a list of books required for all classes online.

After you answer a few questions, this web site can provide you with a price comparison for books from a number of different websites. You can even purchase books from other online stores directly from the University Store website!

In some cases, you will also have the option of renting books or purchasing electronic copies. These are not always available, but can be cheaper than buying the books.

One final option is to check the UW Library to see if the book you need is available there. If it is, you can borrow it from the Library at no cost (once you arrive on campus). Just remember to return the book to the Library before you return home, or you will be charged for it!

There is a book buy-back period at the end of each semester. If you have purchased textbooks and would like to sell them, this is the fastest and easiest way.  Simply take your books to the lower level of the Union (follow the signs), to the buy-back windows.  There, your books will be evaluated, and you will be offered cash for them.  Be sure to take your student ID card with you – this is required!  Please be aware that they may not buy all of your books, and, most importantly, they will not give you as much as you paid.  

How do classes work?

At UW there are five class levels. Class level is notified by the “Course Number” for example, 1050 Survey of Astronomy. The level of the class is given by the starting digit in the course number.

Classes with course numbers starting with numbers 1 and 2 are considered lower division. Upper division classes are classes with Course Numbers which start with numbers 3 and 4. These classes are usually taken by students in their final 2 years of their Bachelor’s degree.

Graduate students should take classes with course numbers starting with the numbers 4 and 5.

On campus classes are referred to as 1000, 2000, 3000, 4000 and 5000 level. 5000 Level classes are restricted to graduate student enrollment only. The University of Wyoming offers classes in over 180 different fields. You may use the University Catalog and Course Descriptions for information about class offerings.

Now you understand how to tell which level each class is, you will be able to pick classes which you think match your level of study. Check out the class listings for specific semesters in our Class Schedules

Are there any restrictions on the classes?

Class availability varies by semester.  Not all classes listed in the catalog are offered every semester. Please refer to the class schedule for available classes.

Study Abroad and Exchange Students may take only 1 online course per semester. Attempting to take more than 1 will jeapordize the status of your visa.

2000-level and higher classes may have prerequisites. If you can provide evidence that you have a pre-requisite equivalent from your home institution you may contact the professor and ask them to give you permission to enroll in their class.

Exchange Students are limited to 15 credit hours per semester.

Study Abroad and Exchange Students are not permitted to enroll in MBAM, MBAX, NURS, or PHCY classes.

Enrollment in LAW classes is strictly limited.  Permission must be granted by the College of Law, and if given, enrollment is limited to 1 class

Section 50 classes are offered on campus in a different city, so exchange and study abroad students cannot enroll in these classes.