Global Resource Navigation
Students Seeking Reinstatement
If you were suspended from the University and are ready to file a petition for Academic Reinstatement, you will need to become familiar with the following information:
You are required complete this checklist prior to submitting a Petition for Academic Reinstatement to the Center for Advising & Career Services. A link to the petition form for reinstatement is included in the checklist.
Documentation of Extenuating Circumstances
In accordance with UW Regulation 6-715, you are required to sit out for one full semester, exclusive of summer term, before you can petition for reinstatement. If you feel that extenuating circumstances contributed to or caused your suspension, and you can provide documentation of those circumstances, you may petition for immediate reinstatement. To be considered for immediate reinstatement, you must attach documentation of extenuating circumstances to your petition.
Meeting with Advisor or Committee
After you complete the checklist and submit your Petition for Academic Reinstatement, you will be contacted to set up an appointment with an advisor or committee. You will be required to appear before a committee if:
- You are petitioning for immediate reinstatement
- You have a history of multiple suspensions
- You file your petition after the deadline
If you don't fall into any of the above listed categories, your appointment will most likely be one-on-one with an advisor. The committee or advisor will approve or deny your petition based on the information provided in the petition and during the meeting.
Preparing for Your Advisor/Committee Meeting
- Be prepared with well thought-out academic goals, both short and long-term
- Develop a plan for achieving academic goals
- Be able to highlight your strengths as a student, potential obstacles you could face if reinstated, and ways to overcome obstacles
- Be familiar with campus resources that you can utilize in support of your goals (see link on this page for "Academic Resources")
- Prepare a tentative list of manageable courses to take if your petition is approved
You should be familiar with these campus resources prior to meeting with the advisor/committee
Repeat Policy: If a student takes a course more than once, the most recent grade is the one that is counted in the gpa (even if it is lower...ex: D, then F; F is the grade that is counted in the gpa). A student is limited to a maximum of 3 attempts to pass a course. Withdrawals DO count as an attempt.
Reinstated Student Responsibilities
If your petition is approved, you will be required to adhere to the terms of a Reinstatement Contract your first semester back. Your contract could include the following terms:
- You will be required to check in with your advisor every TWO WEEKS throughout the semester
- You will retake classes you did poorly in at UW previously, if appropriate
- You will attend class regularly
- You will access available campus resources, if needed
- You will maintain a 2.0 GPA or higher
Feel free to call our office at (307) 766-2398 or email email@example.com if you have additional questions!