Energy Resources Council
The University of Wyoming Energy Resources Council (ERC) was established by statute (W.S. 21-17-117 (e)) to provide direction to the School of Energy Resources (SER) regarding identifying and prioritizing issues which should be targeted for research and outreach. The ERC consists of 11 members, including:
- UW President and Director of the Ruckelshaus Institute of Environment & Natural Resources (ex-officio);
- One member each of the Wyoming Senate (appointed by the President of the Senate) and the House (appointed by the Speaker of the House);
- Seven members representing diverse components of Wyoming's energy industries appointed by the Governor at the consent of the Senate. These members serve 3-year terms; and
- UW Board of Trustee member appointed by the UW Board of Trustees (ex-officio) on March 4, 2011. This trustee appointment is at the invitation of the ERC and allows for greater communication between the two entities.
The general role of the ERC was left open in the original statute and it has been accepted that it should provide direction, insight and guidance to SER. The ERC was uniquely established to represent private sector needs by providing an external business perspective on the diverse higher education and research needs of Wyoming's energy industries. The premise underlying this structure is that SER's budget, together with meaningful input from nonacademic sectors, can exert long-term leverage on the university's core missions: teaching, research, and service. The ERC's most effective role is to promote stable, internationally recognized energy-related expertise and curricula into the fabric of the institution, across many different disciplines and colleges.
A specific role was assigned to the ERC in the 2010 Wyoming Budget Session Laws, Chapter 39, Section 320, paragraph (c) (ii) which appropriates $45 million in AML funds to SER for development of a sub-commercial scale CO2 sequestration research and demonstration project. Sub-paragraph (b) specifically requires "approval of the ERC" among other conditions and requirements before those funds can be spent.
Administration and Organization
- The council self-selects a chairman and vice-chairman.
- The ERC meets at least quarterly and is staffed by SER. One of the quarterly meetings traditionally includes a meeting with the UW Board of Trustees.
- The ERC is supported by the SER Director and staff.
- The ERC is represented by the UW General Counsel.