Some of the content on this website requires JavaScript to be enabled in your web browser to function as intended. While the website is still usable without JavaScript, it should be enabled to enjoy the full interactive experience.

Skip to Main Navigation. Each navigation link will open a list of sub navigation links.

Skip to Main Content

Need Your Medical Records?|University of Wyoming Student Health Service

Medical information is confidential, and can only obtained from or provided to the University of Wyoming Student Health Service with a signed release form.   There are many reasons that confidential medical information needs to be transferred from one medical agency to another, including: physician review of past medical evaluations; documentation for an insurance claim; and transfer of care to or from another physician.


Adobe Reader


Here's what you do:

When you need to request your medical records, whether it is from the University of Wyoming Student Health Service or from your outside clinician, you need to complete an Authorization for Release of Medical Records & Information form (requires a PDF Reader). You may contact another medical facility to arrange to receive a copy of the form used in that office.

For medical records transferred from the University of Wyoming Student Health Service:
Once the form is completed and signed by you, the requested section(s) of your medical record will be copied. The Student Health Service does require at least 1 week's notice for copying of records. This is to make sure your records are current and complete. If you have not been to the Student Health Service for several years, your medical records may be stored at the State Archives Office. If this is the case, we will request the records from Archives. This process may take several weeks.


Due to confidentiality, we prefer not to fax records. Please plan on this when requesting records. You can pick up the records in person or we will send records by mail. By law, we cannot copy any records we may have received from other agencies regarding your health care.


All students may receive one copy of their medical record at no cost. However, if you request additional copies for yourself there will be a $25 fee. If you authorize outside agencies to receive a copy of your medical record there is a $25 fee, which must be paid before the record is released. We will request this fee from the agency. There is no charge to transfer records to another physician.

For medical records transferred to the University of Wyoming Student Health Service:
You will be asked to complete the Authorization for Release of Medical Records & Information. Once records are received, they will be reviewed by one of the medical clinicians prior to being filed in your Student Health Service medical record. It may take several weeks to receive outside records. If you know previous records are needed for continuing health care, please order them prior to your appointment at the Student Health Service. As noted above, by law, these outside (non-Student Health) records cannot be re-released.


We hope that this information helps to clarify the process. If you have any questions please call (307-766-2130) or e-mail the Student Health Service.

Share This Page:

Footer Navigation

University of Wyoming Medallion
1000 E. University Ave. Laramie, WY 82071 // UW Operators (307) 766-1121 // Contact Us // Download Adobe Reader // Accessibility Accessibility information icon