Skip to Main Navigation. Each navigation link will open a list of sub navigation links.

Skip to Main Content

Apply to the University of Wyoming apply now

Global Resource Navigation

Visit Campus
Download UW Viewbook
Give to UW

Frequently Asked Questions

jumplinkSubmitting Samples

What tests are offered?

Tests are offered in various areas of analysis, including necropsy, histopathology, bacteriology, parasitology, clinical pathology, toxicology, and virology. The WSVL also operates a State-Federal Cooperative program to provide for regulatory testing that is requested within the state [e.g. Brucellosis and EIA testing (Coggins test)]. For a complete list of tests offered, please see our Fee Schedule.

Does the WSVL test for rabies?

Yes, rabies testing is performed. As this is a public health service, there is no charge for in-state rabies testing. Information can be found on the Fee Schedule.

How much does each test cost?

Test costs vary by type of test and number of samples. Please see our Fee Schedule.

Where can samples be dropped off?

The WSVL is located at 1174 Snowy Range Road in Laramie. Sample drop off is located at the back of the building, at the southwest corner. Access this area by driving around the round part of the building on the west side and following the sample-drop off signs. There is also a drop box and carcass drop off near this door. Please see the sample drop-off map.

What samples should be submitted?

Samples required vary by test, and are listed on the Fee Schedule. Please call either the lab section of interest or 307-766-9925 with other questions.

What are the hours of operation for sample drop off?

Business hours are from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm during the academic year (generally late August to early May), and from 7:30 am to 4:30 pm during the summer months.

Where can additional information, pictures or paperwork be sent?

Additional paperwork, pictures or information can be faxed to (307)721-2051 or emailed to

What should be done to have a necropsy performed on animal?

It is recommended to call the pathologist on duty (main office: 307-766-9925) before coming to the lab as they will want to discuss the accession and ask for additional information. Necropsies may be dropped off Monday-Friday during normal business hours.

Does the WSVL use Global Vet Link or VSPS?

Yes. If either of these systems is used please include a copy of the form with the samples submitted.

Back to top



Results and Billing

How are results received?

Results are faxed or emailed as they become available according to the default account preference. Results can also be accessed online at the WSVL Web Client Access Database website. If you would like to change the default method for receiving please call (307)766-9925.

How are invoices and statements sent?

Invoices are printed and mailed when the accession is finalized with the final report. Statements are printed and mailed monthly. To have them faxed or emailed please contact the accountant at (307)766-9928.

What is the difference between an invoice and a statement?

An invoice lists the detailed charges and total due for that particular accession. A statement lists all charges and adjustments on the account for the past month, with only totals listed. Invoices are generated for each accession. Statements are generated monthly.

Does the WSVL accept credit cards?

Visa and MasterCard are both accepted by the WSVL. The payments can be made here. This may also be found on the Client Services page at the “Pay Your Bill” link.

Are my results confidential? Are results generated at the WSVL used for other purposes?

Maintenance of client confidentiality is fundamental for the WSVL. If a foreign animal disease is suspected, the WSVL works closely with the State Veterinarian and the USDA Area Veterinarian in Charge. The WSVL reports findings related to public health (rabies, plague, tularemia, Q fever, salmonellosis, etc.) to the Wyoming Department of Health. The WSVL collects summary data and uses accession materials to augment our research and extension missions. This is done in such a manner as to avoid breaking client confidence.

Back to top



Requesting Supplies

What supplies does the WSVL provide? How are they ordered?

Various supplies for packaging samples, including Whirl-paks, formalin containers, shipping cartons, blood tube mailers, and forms are provided. Please contact the Necropsy department at (307) 766-9920 for information on ordering these supplies or indicate the appropriate choice on the accession form if supplies are needed.

Virology supplies PBS tubes for collecting ear notches for BVDV ELISAs – call (307) 766-9933 to request tubes. Click here for more information.

The lab no longer provides Trichomoniasis supplies. PCR testing TF Transit Tubes may be ordered at Biomed Diagnositics, MWI Animal Health, Fisher Sci, and others. Click here for more information.

Back to top




Does the WSVL offer tours? Is any training available for veterinarians?

Visitors to the WSVL are hosted regularly. These include prospective student visits, FFA groups, college students, industry groups, political representatives, veterinarians, and interested producers. To arrange a time to visit the facility and see what is involved in diagnosing disease in animals, please contact the lab at (307) 766-9925 or our director, Dr. William Laegreid (  

Does the WSVL offer undergraduates experience/employment opportunities?

Undergraduate student employees are hired in the various lab sections. Send a letter of interest and resume to

Does the WSVL offer educational opportunities to veterinary students?

Yes, the WSVL offers three externships through the Department of Veterinary Sciences – a Diagnostic externship, a Wyoming Wildlife Disease externship, and the Kelly Palm Memorial externship. Click here for more information

Back to top


Share This Page:

Contact Us

1000 E. University Ave. Laramie, WY 82071
UW Operators (307) 766-1121 | Contact Us | Download Adobe Reader

Twitter Icon Youtube Icon Instagram Icon Facebook Icon

Accreditation | Emergency Preparedness | Employment at UW | Gainful Employment | Privacy Policy | Accessibility Accessibility information icon