Family Medicine Residency Program
University of Wyoming
Meet Faculty and Residents
How to Apply
Including the following:
- We prioritize the training of physicians for practice in Wyoming.
- Our program is interested in recruiting and retaining a diverse group of residents.
Traditional and Nontraditional Students
We hope this information is helpful to you. We wish you continued success in your
- We have a limited budget for expenses and assistance with the interview candidates.
Early application will increase the opportunity of money being available, as it is
allotted on a first come first serve policy.
- Early application is also important as the number of interviews that we conduct is
- Meeting our criteria will not guarantee you an interview. We look at the overall
application and the applicant's fit with our program.
- Personal interviews are required.
To apply you must:
- Complete an ERAS application and submit it to the University of Wyoming Family Medicine
Residency Program at Cheyenne.
- Must meet all ERAS application deadlines.
- Submit three letters of recommendation. One must be from a family physician and one
can be from the Dean. Letters of Recommendation must include:
- Commitment to patient care
- Quality of clinical skill
- Interpersonal skills
- Enthusiasm for self-learning
- Ability to function as team member in the delivery of health care
- Submit an official transcript from the National Board of Medical Examiners and/or
the official transcript from the national board of Osteopathic Medical Examiners showing
passing scores for COMLEX or USMLE steps 1 and 2 by January 30th of the application
- Present achievement of ECFMG Certification for all International Medical School Graduates.
In order to be considered to receive an interview, no more than one failure per exam
will be considered with no more than two failures combined for the three exams.
- Though we do not have a minimum score for these exams, scores of 200 or higher are
given priority. Scores lower will require outstanding Dean's letters and letters
- Provide proof of a Permanent Resident or documentation of US citizenship. (Our program
is unable to sponsor visas of any kind).
- Have graduated from medical school no longer than 2 years ago prior to the start of
- If it is longer than 2 years then certain clinical criteria must have been achieved.
- U.S. clinical experience is required of a significant nature during the time from
graduation to the present time.
- This clinical experience must include significant exposure to obstetrics and pediatrics.
- Direct patient care with a family physician that is of a significant nature and must
include a letter of recommendation from this individual(s).
- Demonstrate a true commitment to Family Medicine.
- Demonstrate US clinical experience of at least one-month duration at a US academic
medical setting (i.e.: Medical School or Residency training program).
- Have completed at least one four week rotation that involved direct patient care with
a family physician in the US and must have an accompanying letter of recommendation.
- Demonstrate oral and written English language proficiency.
Your Personal Statement must include:
- What unique attributes you would bring to our program.
- Comments regarding your knowledge of Wyoming and its rural and frontier settings and
how you see yourself interacting in Wyoming in the future. Though we interview and
match those who do not intend on staying in Wyoming, it is our program's goal to place
its graduates in Wyoming.
Interviews are conducted October through January on Thursdays unless that day is a
holiday. Letters inviting you to interview will be sent out as your application is
received and reviewed. If you are invited for an interview, plan on spending a workday
We encourage you to submit your completed applications early in order to secure an
interview slot. Please contact our office at (307) 777-7911 ext. 104 if you have any
questions about our program or application process.