President's Distinguished Faculty
Beginning in fiscal year 2023, the President’s office will reserve funds annually
to provide startup awards to recruit leading faculty to the University of Wyoming.
These faculty will be recognized in that year as the President’s Distinguished Faculty.
Any department can apply for up to $500,000 towards the startup awards for their approved
faculty hires with distinguished academic records and with internationally recognized
accomplishments in research or creative activities. Creative activities include arts,
scholarship in humanities and similar other endeavors.
While excellence that distinguishes candidates at a national/international level is
the primary criterion to be considered, additional consideration may also be given
to one or more of the following criteria:
- Leveraging: Leveraging with matching funds from the College and others.
- Funding record: Demonstrated excellence in research or creative activities with a track record of
funding from Federal agencies or private organizations.
- Interdisciplinarity: Sustained record or strong promise for leading interdisciplinary research, creative
activities, and education efforts.
- Digital expertise: A strong interest in computational, data and other digital approaches to their disciplines
- Entrepreneurial activities: Demonstrated interest and experience in entrepreneurial practice, research, or education
and/or engagement in community organizations or student programs.
- Inclusion: Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion.
- Departments prepare nominations with the following information.
- Nomination letter addressing the criteria above
- Supporting documentation such as curriculum vitae, matching funds committed by the
department, college, and others.
- The nomination with supporting documentation is sent through the College and the Provost’s
office to the President’s office.
- The President will consult the Provost and the Vice President for Research and Economic
Development to make selections.
- The funds will be made available for one fiscal year for the faculty member.
The President will reserve ~$2 million annually for supporting four or more awards.
For Questions, please contact the Office of the President at firstname.lastname@example.org.