About the UW Foundation
The UW Foundation has been a dynamic partner with the University of Wyoming for 50 years. Through the generosity of our many alumni and friends, the UW Foundation raises an average of $40.7 million a year in private support-money that goes to students and the faculty, staff, and programs that support them. This private support helps to make UW the best educational institution possible.
The University of Wyoming Foundation, established in 1962, is appointed by the University Board of Trustees to raise, receive, and manage private gifts to maximize support for the University of Wyoming. It is an independent, nonprofit corporation with a Board of Directors comprised of up to 30 members.
In practicing the following guiding principles, the UW Foundation will strive to earn the trust and mutual respect of our peers and constituent partners while inspiring exceptional pride in the University of Wyoming.
The UW Foundation aspires to be a premier strategic partner with the University of Wyoming in achieving its desire to become the nation's finest land-grant university.
The UW Foundation enhances excellence and distinction at the University of Wyoming by securing private resources, delivering superior stewardship, and creating enduring relationships with all who share our pride in Wyoming's university.
The UW Foundation seeks to set the highest performance standards in the following areas, which we consider essential to the successful achievement of our mission and attainment of our vision.
Departments Within the UW Foundation
Our fundraising efforts are responsibly and effectively implemented by the following departments.
- Development, including Planned Giving and Prospect Management. The Development team works closely with individual donors and with the university to focus on the priorities of each, helping to guide the significant and thoughtful commitments that have a major impact on the future of Wyoming's university. The Planned Giving team helps people leave an educational legacy that will benefit generations of future students, and they are here to guide people through the sometimes-complex process of estate planning. The Prospect Management team ensures the best possible fit between donors and the university, facilitating that relationship and the fulfillment of the goals of both.
- Corporate and Foundation Giving. With the help of the Corporate and Foundation Giving team, corporations and the business community have formed many strategic, mutually beneficial partnerships with the university, and the private foundations of many individuals, families, and organizations support UW's social, educational, and research activities.
- Marketing and Strategic Planning, including Annual Giving. The Marketing and Strategic Planning team helps coordinate the strategic vision of the foundation and communicates that vision in a variety of media to university and foundation constituencies. The Annual Giving team reaches all alumni, parents, faculty, staff, and friends on a yearly basis to offer giving opportunities for direct support of UW's colleges, departments, and programs, thus creating a vital and dependable source of non-legislative support for Wyoming's university.
- Financial Services. Providing a reliable, growing source of income to the University of Wyoming is one of the foundation's main objectives, and its Financial Services team, through the board's investment policies, proactively and prudently manages the university's private assets in order to preserve or increase the real principal value of its endowment. This in turn provides permanent capital and a dependable stream of income for the university and its programs, despite trends in the economy or administrative changes. Also included within Financial Services are IT and Gift Processing.
- Operations. The Operations team provides invaluable support for the activities of all departments of the foundation. Operations includes stewardship, house management, human resources, and events, among many other things.