Skip to Main Navigation. Each navigation link will open a list of sub navigation links.

Skip to Main Content

Apply to the University of Wyoming apply now

Global Resource Navigation

Visit Campus
Download UW Viewbook
Give to UW

Questions Specific to UW

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: How many colleges and programs does UW offer?

A: UW has six undergraduate colleges: Agriculture and Natural Resources, Arts & Sciences, Business, Education, Engineering and Applied Science, and Health Science. In addition, it is home to the College of Law, Haub School of Environment and Natural Resources, UW at a Distance, the School of Energy Resources, and over 90 graduate degree programs.

Q: Do students have to study a fixed set of subjects or can they individually form their major?

A: It depends: Some degree programs are highly structured; others are more flexible and sometimes allow you to choose among required courses to create your own program. The best resource is the UW Four-Year Degree Plans for the various majors offered on campus. A degree plan will help you see the sequence of courses you’ll need to graduate in the major you end up sticking with. If you have a declared major, the plan can help you choose courses and see the path ahead of you. If you are undeclared, checking out the degree plans for a couple majors you are exploring can help you get a “feel” for these degree programs and determine what to ask your advisor.

Q: When do you declare a major?

A: You can declare before you begin your studies at UW. However, it is not essential. Many students do not declare a major until the end of the second year of school. Beginning your academic career with an undeclared major will allow you to explore the many different tracks that will allow you to discover the major that best fits. Within the UW Exploratory Studies program, you can choose one of six tracks that expose you to multiple disciplines within these areas.

Q: What is a minor?

A: A minor is concentrated study in a specific subject area that compliments a student’s major. The university has a wide range of undergraduate minors. For example, the College of Arts & Sciences offers 69 minors. Adding a minor can enhance your degree and expand your career opportunities. If you have questions about adding a minor, talk to you advisor.

Q: What is the University Studies Program?

A: The University of Wyoming provides a liberal arts education, so students are broadly educated in the humanities, social sciences, natural sciences, and mathematics. To ensure each student meets these requirements, certain courses are approved as a part of the core coursework required of a UW student. The University Studies Program (USP) is the general education program that all University of Wyoming undergraduate students are required to complete.

Q: Can a course count for multiple requirements (for example, USP and major requirement?

A: Yes. Often a course that meets the USP requirement may also meet the major requirement for the degree offered. For more information on specific courses, it is best to consult with your advisor.

Q: What is the credit system at the University of Wyoming?

A: A credit is a value assigned to each course which reflects the number of hours the class will meet with the professor each week. A one-credit course meets for one hour each week with a ten-minute break. A three-credit course meets for 150 minutes per week (three hours with three ten-minute breaks).

Q: What is the grading system at the University of Wyoming?

A: Grade Point Average (GPA) is a numeric indicator for a student's academic performance, calculated on a scale of 4.0. Most courses at the University of Wyoming uses the plus-minus system. Your First Year Seminar, however, is set up to be letter grade only without plus or minus.

Letter Grade


Grade Points



































Q: How do I find my grades?

A: Your midterm and final grades will be available on WyoWeb as soon as they are submitted by your instructors each semester. They may be found on the “Student Resources” tab, in the “Student Grades” channel.

Q: What kind of career planning services are offered to students?

A: Career Counseling is available in Knight Hall. Counseling by appointment can help you identify what you want in life so you can set goals and obtain them.

Q: What are the medical insurance options for students?

Student Health Insurance is designed to help students maintain good health throughout their academic study and decrease the financial burden that can be caused by unexpected health expenses. The University of Wyoming Board of Trustees elected to offer a program which had the least impact on the students, yet still maintain a comprehensive program at a reasonable cost. University of Wyoming Student Health Insurance is provided through UnitedHealthcare StudentResources. The deadline to make any changes to your insurance choice is the add/drop deadline. For all international students, you are automatically enrolled in the student medical insurance each semester so you must waive the insurance by the add/drop deadline. The insurance includes a $400 deductible and $7,150 out-of-pocket maximum. For more information, see 

FAQ icon

University of Wyoming courses and credits FAQ

Contact Us

Learning Resource Network

Coe Library Room 219

Laramie, WY 82071

Phone: 307-766-2325


1000 E. University Ave. Laramie, WY 82071
UW Operators (307) 766-1121 | Contact Us | Download Adobe Reader

Twitter Icon Youtube Icon Instagram Icon Facebook Icon

Accreditation | Virtual Tour | Emergency Preparedness | Employment at UW | Gainful Employment | Privacy Policy | Harassment & Discrimination | Accessibility Accessibility information icon