Skip to Main Navigation. Each navigation link will open a list of sub navigation links.

Skip to Main Content

Apply Now to the University of Wyoming apply now
Visit Campus
Download UW Viewbook
Give to UW

Athletic Training Services

Frequently Asked Questions

Sources: National Athletic Trainers' Association,, American Physical Therapy Association

Q: What is Athletic Training?

A: Athletic training encompasses the prevention, examination, diagnosis, treatment and rehabilitation of emergent, acute or chronic injuries and medical conditions. Athletic training is recognized by the American Medical Association (AMA), Health Resources Services Administration (HRSA), and the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) as an allied health care profession.

Q: Who are Athletic Trainers?

A: Athletic Trainers (ATs) are highly qualified, multi-skilled health care professionals who collaborate with physicians to provide preventative services, emergency care, clinical diagnosis, therapeutic intervention and rehabilitation of injuries and medical conditions. Athletic trainers work under the direction of a physician as prescribed by state licensure statutes.

Campus Recreation has 1 full-time nationally certified and state licensed Athletic Trainer.

Q: What is the difference between an Athletic Trainer and a Personal Trainer?

A: Athletic Trainers are health care professionals who serve patients through injury and illness prevention, clinical evaluation and diagnosis, appropriate interventions, management, and treatment of emergency, acute and chronic medical conditions, and rehabilitation.  They are nationally certified and state licensed (in 49 states). They must graduate from an accredited baccalaureate or master's program and pass the national certification examination. The athletic training academic curriculum and clinical training follows the medical model. 70% of ATs have a master's degree.

Personal trainers possess the knowledge, skills and abilities necessary to design safe and effective fitness programs. They conduct pre-participation screenings, instruct and assist people in reaching personal health and fitness goals. They do not give medical advice, physical therapy advice or attempt to make a medical diagnosis. Personal training services are available at Half Acre for students, staff & faculty.

Q: What is the difference between an Athletic Trainer and a Physical Therapist?

A: Athletic Trainers are trained in treatment of emergency, acute and chronic medical conditions, and rehabilitation of injury. Physical therapists provide long term care for patients with impairments, limitations in activities or participation, or changes in physical function or health status resulting from injury, disease, or other causes.

Both professions evaluate, diagnose, and implement appropriate interventions, management, and rehabilitation following an injury. They both work to prevent injury and promote wellness. Patients with a referral for physical therapy cannot legally be treated by an athletic trainer.

Q: What athletic training services are offered at Half Acre's Wellness Center?


  • Acute injury care during business hours and at select club sport events;

  • Injury evaluations and consultations;

  • Home exercise programs for chronic injuries and/or conditions;

  • Concussion baselines for club sport athletes;

  • Concussion evaluation and management, in conjunction with the sports medicine physician at Student Health;

  • On-site coverage for high-risk club sport home competitions.

Q: Are Athletic Trainers only available to specific club sports?

A: No, athletic training services are available for all club sport athletes as well as the general student population.

Q: Are Athletic Trainers at club sport practices and games?

A: Athletic Trainers do not attend practices, but do attend home games and competitions for sports that have been deemed "high-risk" or sports that the governing body requires the presence of an athletic trainer.

Q: Do I need an appointment to see an athletic trainer?

A: Yes, you can call the Wellness Center 307-766-WELL (9355) or stop in to make an appointment. Appointments are not scheduled over e-mail.

Q: How do I get an appointment with an athletic trainer?

A: Call the Wellness Center at 307-766-WELL (9355). You can also drop in and make an appointment in person. Appointments are not scheduled over e-mail.

Q: Do I need to complete any paperwork before my appointment?

A: Yes, all students, with or without a referral, need to fill out a Patient History Form as well as an Athletic Training Services Waiver. Forms are in fillable PDF format.  Please type in the required information, print the document and sign in ink. Bring the completed form to the Wellness Center at least ONE DAY BEFORE your scheduled appointment. Paper forms can also be picked up in the Wellness Center.

Q: Do I need to see a physician before I can make an appointment with an athletic trainer?

A: No, you do no need a doctor referral to use this service.

Q: I have a referral for Physical Therapy, can I see the athletic trainers for my rehabilitation?

A: The athletic trainers at Campus Recreation cannot supervise, advise, create, or add to a rehabilitation program from a physical therapist and/or physician. Students who have a gym membership (full-time students or those who have paid fees) are able to use Half Acre Gym and equipment to do any exercises they have as part of their home exercise program given to them from their physician and/or physical therapist. If a student is unsure about the availability of equipment, they should ask a Campus Recreation employee or the athletic trainers. Any questions about the exercises including, but not limited to, form, adaptations, progression of activities, increase or decrease in weight, etc. should be directed to the physical therapist monitoring the rehabilitation.

Q: What should I expect when I visit the athletic trainer?

A: After calling or stopping by the Wellness Center and making an appointment you will need to fill out a history form and drop off your referral from your physician if you have one.  This should be done at least one day before your appointment. On the day of your appointment, you will be evaluated by a Certified Athletic Trainer and a treatment plan will be developed. Depending on your injury and situation, the Athletic Trainer will be able to give you a home exercise program or refer you to an appropriate medical provider if necessary. They will discuss your treatment options with you. You may need to come back a few times for some re-evaluation as decided by your Athletic Trainer.

Q: How much do athletic training services cost?

A: Athletic training services are free of charge to UW students. Athletic training services are funded by UW student fees, paid each semester by students. There is no additional charge for UW students to use the athletic training facilities.

Q: Is the Athletic Trainer available for UW Faculty and Staff?

A: No, because UW student fees fund the service, faculty and staff cannot make appointments.

Q: Can the Athletic Trainer share my health information with others?

A: No, your visits in the athletic training facility are medical records protected under HIPAA/FERPA and cannot be shared with anyone without your written consent.

Q: How can I contact an Athletic Trainer with a question or following an injury?

A: Call the Wellness Center 307-766-WELL (9355) and they can help you get in touch with an Athletic Trainer.

Students who have been seen by the Athletic Trainer and have accepted the invitation to join Healthy Roster (the Electronic Medical Record system) can contact the Athletic Trainer via the HIPAA/FERPA secure messaging this software allows. The Athletic Trainer will respond to each questions/request as soon as reasonably possible.

Contact Us

Wellness Center

Half Acre Campus Recreation

Room 107

Dept 3604

1000 E. University Ave.

Laramie, WY 82071

Phone: 307-766-9355

Fax: 307-766-6720


Logo for Wellness Center
Find us on Facebook (Link opens a new window) Find us on Instagram (Link opens a new window)

1000 E. University Ave. Laramie, WY 82071
UW Operators (307) 766-1121 | Contact Us | Download Adobe Reader

Accreditation | Virtual Tour | Emergency Preparedness | Employment at UW | Privacy Policy | Harassment & Discrimination | Accessibility Accessibility information icon