Steps for Studying Abroad
Are You Eligible?
- Students must have completed 30 credit hours of coursework (at least sophomore standing); Excludes the Spring London Semester Program
- Students must have at least a 2.75 cumulative GPA (some foreign universities require a higher GPA)
- Students cannot be on academic or disciplinary probation
- Students must schedule a mandatory meeting with a Study Abroad Advisor
1. Complete the Information Session and Research your Options
Our Cowboys Abroad portal provides a fantastic way for you to begin looking at options for your study abroad experience.
- On the Cowboys Abroad main page, you have three options to search for programs, including by region, or on the Advanced Search, by area of study and language of study, among others. You can then click on the program names to find out more information
- Once you have found a program that interests you and have read the information posted,
- Click “Apply Now” or “Request Advising” (they both go to the same place)
- On the Application: Advising page, complete all four of the steps. Once all of the steps are done, you can request an appointment with the appropriate advisor – be sure to choose the advisor that covers the location or program that you are interested in.
- The information videos will give you good information to consider as well as explain the process.
- It is particularly important that you fill in the information in the “What Are Your Plans?” questionnaire, as this will help ensure that we assign you to the correct program after the advising session.
- Once you request an appointment, you will be able to choose a time that works for both you and the appropriate advisor. Please note that advising appointments will not be accepted until you have completed all four steps of the Advising Application.
3. Deadlines - Apply Early!
For all programs, it is best to complete the application process well before the published deadlines.
Apply on or before MARCH 15 (deadline can be extended if programs remain unfilled;however, scholarship deadlines are not flexible). Some programs and universities have earlier deadlines.
Apply on or before OCTOBER 15. Some programs and universities have earlier deadlines.
Apply on or before FEBRUARY 15 (deadline can be extended if programs remain unfilled; however, scholarship deadlines are not flexible)
*Many programs have earlier deadlines! Please check specific exchange programs/providers for those deadlines to ensure you can choose from all possible options for studying abroad.
*Deadlines for some scholarships may be earlier than application dates.